Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 decade ago

Starting Your Own Company?

Starting in september I will be studying Civil Engineering Technology in college. Im very interested in starting my own company after i have established adequate time in the business.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction or if you have any tips so that i can start setting up my future. Im a very out going person and i like having "life plans" because it gives the challenge of something to achieve as well as the reward that comes with it.

Thanks,

Zack

Favorite Answer

Zack, that's awesome..

I'll tell you this. There are two types of people in the world.. well 3 really, but only 2 worth talking about, because the 3rd are lazy asses who will never do much of anything with their lives and have no drive and initiative.

so..

of the first two, there are these:

1. People who have a lot of drive, a lot of knowledge about certain things, are self starters, are able to overcome obstacles without having to rely on anyone else. These people are GREAT businesspeople because they can create a plan, can follow that plan, can acquire any knowledge they need to become whatever they want to be.

2. People who spend 4-6 years in college, study their asses off, learn everything they can about a certain thing in order to get a high paying job somewhere for a big company with lots of benefits. they work their asses off when they get there, and move up through the ranks over time, they will probably have several jobs in their lives, but won't ever own their own, because they don't necessarily have what it takes. they are too specialized / have a one track mind, are typically unable to adapt to situations etc.. most people like this who start businesses WILL fail at them, because they prefer having someone tell them what to do... You'll also find that these people are ones who when something goes wrong like to pass the blame off to other people like.... their bosses...

of course i'm generalizing.

It's GREAT to be either of these people. the world wold NOT work without both of them..

What someone told me a long time ago was "You can go to college and learn how to BE an employee for someone else, OR... You can learn what you need to learn about how to run a business, then hire people who have gone to college and LEARNED HOW TO BE AN EMPLOYEE."

what that basically means is, you don't have to know everything there is to know about being a civil engineer to BE one.

You could theoretically find a good niche, something that either people, or other businesses need, then create a business that provides services to those people or businesses.. and hire people who know how to perform those tasks.

I had no previous knowledge about my field until i took a job at a company that does the same thing. The company sucked, the job sucked, but the idea was there, so a colleague of mine and i got together, quit our jobs and started our own company doing the same thing... Because of that we make WAYYYYYYYYY more than we did working there.

Ok, i digress... I'm not saying that you shouldn't go to school.. you should.. you need to.. what i meant to imply is that when you get out of school, get a job in the industry, and learn the ins and outs of it like you just said. find a niche and open a company that provides those services to people. You need experience in running a company though, and you need a lot of patience and have to be able to research things on your own. The other thing i was trying to imply is that a business owner doesn't have to be a master in 1 field but rather, it's better if he/she is a jack of all trades and knows a decent amount about A LOT of things that apply to the area you're in. Most of all, you need management skills, basic accounting skills, problem solving skills, and like i keep saying. the ability to research.. and marketing knowledge doesn't hurt either. Neither does sales knowledge!

so... you have to find people who make up for what YOU lack when you start a company.

example.. I know how to build websites, and was able to develop our website, our back end software and all of the things we need, that we would have had to pay someone $30k to write for us.. I did it for FREE while my partner was making sales for us ... he's good at sales, i'm good at advertising, and technical aspects. I also do a lot of the admin stuff.. my girlfriend does all of the books and financials. it works well.

There are a LOT of things that go into starting a company. I could go on for hours about this, but i think i've said enough.. i wish you all the luck in the world.

• ?

one million Mr anderson. two kurt attitude three Chris jericho Reasons of why i had picked the ones three wrestlers. one million Mr anderson can carry within the scores climate humans (like that reply or now not) he's a first-class entertainer very well at the mic he can if was once used proper to play both a heel or a face however i''l have him as a heel and the foremost champion so i will be able to make him the highest heel to carry within the lovers two I understand that the age is getting the bigger of kurt attitude. however he nonetheless proved that he can struggle on the most sensible stage i will be able to have an open gold medal assignment for the more youthful wrestlers so extra of the announcement by means of kurt attitude can get extra more youthful wrestlers in so i will be able to signal them to cause them to gigantic stars so kurt attitude> to carry within the more youthful skillability many of the cutting-edge more youthful skillability, already appreciate kurt attitude. three for chris jericho of why i had picked him was once the identical motive like Mr anderson warmth = scores entertainer= lovers