Could our expectations be our real downfall?

I've had a few conversations with some friends of both sexes about dating/marriage, in relation to being single. And many of them have convinced themselves that it's difficult to find someone that doesn't bring some intense degree of insanity into their lives. I personally believed that statements like... show more I've had a few conversations with some friends of both sexes about dating/marriage, in relation to being single. And many of them have convinced themselves that it's difficult to find someone that doesn't bring some intense degree of insanity into their lives. I personally believed that statements like this being made from both 'sides of the fence' signals that the real issue is a problem that most singles have with comfortability. Meaning finding the courage to step outside of their comfort-zone by letting their guard down and letting someone in.

Many of them went on to state (which lead to a heated debate) that they can't find someone who lives up to their expectations, which when read was an elaborate maze of 'do's and don'ts' for anyone who was thinking about giving them a chance at love. The women stated that they can't find a man to stay faithful, keep a job, and handle their responsibility. Taking care of the needs, wants and desires of their families. and on the flip side of that, the men stated that they can't find a woman who's 'freaky' enough, will stay in the 'perfect shape' the way they like her (regardless of child birth) or a woman who's 'traditional' (as we often argue about here).

No matter what the concerns with demands that where not being met, I couldn't help but ask these single people if the demands they'd placed on a potential mate maybe the reason why many of them where still single?

For me personally, no matter the hard exterior that any man or woman tries to wear to block themselves from being vulnerable to a 'no good man' or 'conniving woman', when our arguments, concerns, and questions have all been addressed, we all 'need love'. I believe that our anatomy, our minds, and hearts have made us this way (regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, social class and/or religion).

With that being said, what do you guys think? Do you think that maybe the 'standards' we place on the men/women we want in life, to spend the rest of our lives with is what leads us to reject anyone who doesn't fit that perfect list of expectations?