junks asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Is New York City tap water safe for neon fish?

I have owned several neon fish a long time ago, but I've been using tap water. (I live in NYC.)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, I use NYC tap water, no conditioners, dechlorinators or other junk for angelfish discus and yep even neon tetras. So far so good. For 15 years....

1. Cycled tank has all bacteria you need. No need to add any extra.

2. Chlorine (used on upstate water treatment plant) almost gone by the time it reaches Bronx otherwise you wouldn't be able to stay next to water faucet. Residues leave water in 24 hours. Dechlorinators useless at best.

3. No need to filter water for tank and refrigirator filtered water is not better for fish than tap. Could be even worse if filter media gets old.

4. If you use custom RO/DI filtering system for special needs you do have to add minerals and trace elements back to water.

Hope it helps. Stick to maintenance routine. Do not overfeed. That's much more important than go crazy over chlorine

• Login to reply the answers
  • corbo
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Nyc Tap Water Safe

• Gary C
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

New York City is famous for having good-quality tap water, so the water should work fine, provided you dechlorinate it (using a water treatment from the pet store) before you put the fish in.

• 1 decade ago

Any tapwater is NEVER safe for fish. It can be made safer by using different things to remove the clorine, etc. I personally like Cycle. It is a little more expensive but it adds goos bacteria to the water.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No, filtered water is the best. I use the water that filters out of my refrigerater. It's drinking water.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you need to get the special water from the pet store or else your fish will probably die

• 1 decade ago

No! You must get spring water for them or they will die.

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

has chlorine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.