Mike S asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Tommy Hanson or J.A. Happ who would you rather have?

Both are NL east starting pitcher rookies (well I think Happ would be considered a rookie even though he made a few starts last year), anyway both have looked pretty impressive Happ is 7-1, with a 2.97 ERA with 71 K's in 100 innings (0.71 K's per inning). Hanson is 5-0, with 3.00 ERA, with 36 K's in 48 innings (0.75 K's per inning). Hard choice ERA and strikeouts/innings are virtually the same. I'd take Happ but it's really close

• dibz
    Favorite Answer

I gotta go with Hanson. I mean he does it with very little offense also he is younger.

• Both have been outstanding pitchers so far, but I would lean towards Hanson because Happ is 26 and Hanson is 22...so I would take Hanson in that case of things in addition Hanson can get more strikeouts

Happ has been nothing but lucky all year. His BABIP (batting average on balls in play) is .260. That is way lower than the MLB average. Happ's LOB % is 83.5 %. He's not as good as his number's indicate.

His K/9 is 6.39. His BB/9 is 2.97. His K/BB is 2.15. He's been very lucky with the longball. Only 9.3% of his fly balls have gone on to be homeruns. That's a very small number.

Hanson has also been very lucky this year. His BABIP is even lower at .249. His LOB % is 82.5. His K/9 is 6.75. His BB/9 is 4.31. His K/BB is 1.57. Hanson has been even luckier with the home run. His HR/FB is 7%.

Neither of these pitchers have been as good this year as their numbers indicate. In the long run, hanson has the better K potential, so he gets the nod.

Source(s): fangraphs.com

Happ is a rising star who will probably be with the Blue Jays by the end of the weekend. The Phils are close to getting Halladay, and Happ is apparently going to be part of the package now.

I would also take Happ. I don't know much about Hanson, but Happ has been pitching some flat out good baseball.

• I don't know. Hansen would walk more people but he gets out of jams. Happ, I think, is just consistent..

Tough choice, might go with Hansen in the long run.

I would HAPPily take happ over hanson.

Agreed that it's close, but I would go with Hanson.

rather have an STD