Lixy asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 1 decade ago

Do people go to the beach (and swim!) a lot in the summer in Japan ?

What are the most crowded beaches ? The least crowded ones ?

Lots of waves ?

Is it common for japanese people to just go to the beach and not swim ?

Favorite Answer

Japanese people do often go swimming and to the beach in the summer. Though Japan isn't exactly known for its beaches, usually travelers visit other areas...but, yes! Some of them very much love the beach. :-)

I'd say the most crowded beaches are the ones closer to Tokyo and the ones that are sunny! :-) Least crowded is probably further up north, in the more country side of Japan. The waves differ depending on which beach you're going to. But I'd say for the most part, if there isn't a storm, then they're anywhere from 1 foot - 3 feet tall. Again, some beaches have much bigger waves! Really, if you're planning on going there then asking the locals / whoever you're staying with / hotel receptionist would be the best solution.

And for the swimming- yes if they can't swim, don't feel up to it, or if it's too chilly. ;-) Just about the same as in America, I think.

Hoping that was somewhat helpful. :-)

well i only know the beaches near osaka, they aren't very good for swimming but a little further afield you get to wakayama which has one of japan's most crowded beaches at shirahama, the beach is great as they often import sand from australia . quite near shirahama is my favourite deserted beach, it's at minabe where there is a 5 kilometre sandy beach where very few people go, i've been there and there were only 5 or 6 other people on the beach. it's also a beach where sea turtles come to lay eggs so it's quite clean for japan and bbqs, camping etc are forbidden

The last time I went to the beach near Tokyo, we just stood in our own space- too crowded to swim! If you go to the Japan Sea or Okinawa, I think you might be able to actually swim. I think many people go to the beach and never get in the water. At the beach near Kamakura Station, there are many little stands and bars that people hang out at because the beach is quite ugly.

In my childhood ,every summer I went to beach and swam.

But getting older ,I rather prefer to fishing.

If you are finding least crowded beach, I recommend Japan

Sea side beach.

from what my teacher has told me she said the beach in hyogo is too dirty to swim at so I'm not too sure but i don't think they would. if they were school kids the school is held open for them to go swimming in the school pool...

Source(s): what my teacher said.