Would driving my cat to college make her unhappy? How would I go about putting her in the car for 8 hours?

My parents are unwilling to take care of my cat for too long. For the first year, they've agreed to take care of her (because pets aren't allowed in the dorms). But for the second year, I'll be getting an apartment. My university is an 8 hour drive away from home. Kitty hates car rides, even short... show more My parents are unwilling to take care of my cat for too long. For the first year, they've agreed to take care of her (because pets aren't allowed in the dorms).
But for the second year, I'll be getting an apartment.

My university is an 8 hour drive away from home. Kitty hates car rides, even short ones. My parents won't take care of her for more than 2 years for sure, so I have two options:
1) Bring my cat in the car when I'm driving to and from college for summer and winter vacation (that's 4 8-hour trips every year)

2) Transfer to a university closer to my house after 2 years

Or, the third option, which really isn't an option,
3) Let my parents give her up

I'd prefer #1 by far, but only if there was a way to make her okay with the travel. Is there any humane way of bringing a cat along in a car without causing any distress? I know that the last 2-hour drive we had with her, she acted funny for a week.