Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 1 decade ago

I failed a class last semester when I had no pell grant from fafsa, will it pay for me to retake it now?

Last semester I paid for my own tuition and books. I had no help from FAFSA! This semester I'll recieve a pell grant from FAFSA and I HAVE to retake that class. Will FAFSA pay for it?

Favorite Answer

The Pell Grant is money you get from the U.S. Department of Education. As long as you are a student in good standing with your college and you have properly filed your FAFSA form every school year, you will receive grant money to cover your tuition, regardless of whether the class you have registered for is a retake or not.

That said, your college may have a limit on how many times you can repeat a class. If you've failed the same class three or more times or your grade point average falls below a 2.0, you may be placed on academic probation, and your college may refuse to give you any more financial aid until you get your grades up. It's understandable to fail a difficult class if you are new to college and are still adjusting to the pace, but don't let it happen too often. Those Fs really stand out on your transcript should a future employer or graduate school happen to look at it.

Usually you will get a bunch of mailings from the college. Some are important with information on next step and documents are require to submitted and what forms to fill out, while others are just informative. The best thing you can do is be proactive and visit the Financial Aid office first. That way you'll be ahead of the game. And if you do receive any letters in the mail, it's already been done.

FAFSA does not pay anything, they simply qualify you for grants and loans. If you receive a Pell grant, it will give you a specific amount that you put towards your tuition and expenses.

as long as ur gpa is 2.0 or better it'll pay