Why do you think no one can find .380 or 45acp yet you can get other calibers much easier now?

Think about it. I have been calling my wal-mart every single day every morning to see if they get ammo. Mostly to notify my freinds as I have very little money latley to buy ammo with and keep track of shipment to figure out some sort of pattern. Just today they got 90 boxes of 9mm and 50 boxes of .40 yet no .45. I got 2 boxes of .40. They have not gotten any .45 for 3 months. Same thing with .380. They get .22LR on occasion but it gets gobbled up faster than the other stuff.

So why do you think that is? I mean I don't have a .45acp weapon but it still bugs me they don't get any. I would think they would be churning it out in just as great quanities They get 9mm and .40 often enough.

Favorite Answer

Shortages of .45 ACP are common because .45 ACP is popular and, as mentioned above, fearmongering by right-wing nutballs has people stockpiling ammunition against the dreaded agents of Obama, even though Obama, Holder and Pelosi haven't been able to get any gun legislation even out to the floor of the House for discussion.

Until recently, .380 was a fringe caliber and what was produced was sufficient for the market. However, easily concealed .380 automatics have zoomed in popularity with the coming of the concealed-carry permit in so many states (40 so far) and the munitions factories are already operating as fast as they can; there isn't any room for additional production of .380 ammo. With the release of the Walther PK380 in a couple of months, I expect the situation to get even worse. It's a nice little gun and is priced at just $362.00, meaning a lot of places will have it on sale for $325.00 or so. It's only slightly larger than the Walther P22, which is already very popular, so it should be a hit with the CCW crowd, both men and women. The last time I saw any .380 in the Houston area, the shop that had it was limiting customers to a single box.

.22 long rifle ammunition is also hard to find. I think a lot of people are buying the bricks instead of a few boxes. I spent two months looking for CCI Minimags in 40-grain .22 LR. I lucked out and happened to be in a Gander Mountain when they received a shipment. I helped them unload the ammunition skid so I could get some of the CCI and then contributed to the shortage for others by buying 15 100-round boxes (we have five .22s in our family). I snap up bulk packs of Remington Golden Bullet whenever I see it because it is one of the few types of ammunition that feeds well in my SIG Mosquito.

At some point in time, folks will either have so much ammunition, or will figure out Uncle Sam won't be coming for their guns, that the situation will ease up. Right now, buy stock in the arms manufacturers.

I assure you the problem is either the local store manager or the regional manager. 45 acp is stacking up on store shelves for about 2 months now. 380 is available, but tight.

There are 6 Walmarts where I live.....and they have plenty of 45.

Out west, up north, Florida and Texas still have ammo problems. But the south east and middle states are nearly back to normal on ammo supply,

Don't know what state you live in....but you may find a local ammo manufacturer that has what you want. They are scattered all over the country. Usually their premium self defense ammo is a real bargain, but their target/practice ammo is a little higher than Walmart and Academy Sports.

Let me put it to you this way: Individual Walmart stores do not all have the same policies when it comes to what they stock; I can get .30-30 ammo at my local rural Walmart, but not at some of the "Big City" Walmarts (and some of those won't sell ANY ammo at all...). Also, .45 and .380 are fairly popular calibers, so perhaps people are being stupid in thinking that they have to snatch up what they can, while they can, because of the un-founded fear that the Obama Administration is going to outlaw guns. I remember how Clinton, Carter, Ford, Kennedy, etc were all supposedly going to outlaw all guns...and it never happened. Funny how the strictest gun-control laws have been enacted by Republicans -- remember the "Brady Bill"?

We Humans do tend towards a herd mentality, and that mentality tends to show most when we believe something simply because someone in a position of "Authority" says it.

(edited to fix a mistake: ".380", instead of ".308")

• ?

I was in wall mart the other day. I heard from a friend of a friend they got ammo they had .45, .40, .38, 9mm, .380, .22lr and some .22 short. that all went quick I bought the last brick of .22 short. I asked the clerk when it cleared out and she said ammo comes when it comes I don't have a schedule any more

I'm happy with .38 Special, .357 Magnum, 9x19, and .45 ACP. I have handguns I can carry in all of these rounds, and though some are more effective than others, they all are reasonably effective. A cop out? I prefer to think of it as open minded. I like J-frames. A Taurus 851 UL or sometimes a S&W Model 60-15 is my preference for carry.

• H

Both rounds are very popular and so they've been bought out. I was lucky to find .357 Mag 125 grain semi-jacketed hollow points a couple of months ago. I still need .38 snake shot and can't find it anywhere.

H

Stop messing with Wal-Mart and find a good gun shop.I have no trouble finding any of the ammo you mentioned here in S.C.

• Logan

Most of this is simply people hoarding and ammunition manufacturers and Walmart trying to guess what the demand is and supply it. .380 is so far behind right now that people would buy it on sight just to sell it even if they didn't have one. 9mm and 40 are more popular calibers so they went into overtime manufacturing them. We have plenty of 45 on the shelves around here, I think it is just a failure to stock enough in your area combined with people in a self-induced panic. The cheap 22LR is getting bought because that is what people can afford to shoot alot of with other ammo getting hard to find with any reliability so they just buy it up when it is on the shelf for 13 bucks for 500 rounds.

I would argue that at this point some people aren't snatching up ammo due to Obama anymore because in the past few months it has become obvious that healthcare, afghanistan, and the economy have been taking up too much of his time and Pelosi realizes that there is not a point in pushing gun control until after the midterm elections in 2010.

I would say there was a reasonable scare about gun control. Most voters were around the last time we had a democratic majority in Congress and a (D) beside the name of the guy in the white house. It was 1993 to 1996 with "Clinton" who the above poster seems to be misinformed about. The passed the "BRADY BILL" and the "ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN" the year after he took office. I liked Bill, but you can't say the guy didn't enact gun control and contribute to the mayhem going on right now with ammo prices and gun sales. Get your facts straight.

Barack Obama on Gun Control

Opposed bill okaying illegal gun use in home invasions. (Aug 2008)

Ok for states & cities to determine local gun laws. (Apr 2008)

FactCheck: Yes, Obama endorsed Illinois handgun ban. (Apr 2008)

April 2008: "Bittergate" labeled Obama elitist. (Apr 2008)

Respect 2nd Amendment, but local gun bans ok. (Feb 2008)

Provide some common-sense enforcement on gun licensing. (Jan 2008)

2000: cosponsored bill to limit purchases to 1 gun per month. (Oct 2007)

Concealed carry OK for retired police officers. (Aug 2007)

Stop unscrupulous gun dealers dumping guns in cities. (Jul 2007)

Keep guns out of inner cities--but also problem of morality. (Oct 2006)

Bush erred in failing to renew assault weapons ban. (Oct 2004)

Ban semi-automatics, and more possession restrictions. (Jul 1998)

Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)

And directly from his own webpage, not under gun control, but "urban policy"

"Address Gun Violence in Cities: As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets."

Say what you want, but these sources aren't from Fox News. Bill Clinton says Democrats lost Congress in 1996 due to gun control in his book, why do you think Pelosi is hesitant to start on it before working on other goals?

Source(s): http://www.ontheissues.org/Barack_Obama.htm http://www.barackobama.com/issues/urban_policy/ind... There were even more things about gun control 6 months out from the election that got removed to make his platform more moderate. Political Science BA

If you're only shopping at one source for your ammunition, then you're not looking around enough for other sources to meet your demand for ammunition.

Widen your search area and consider on-line vendors in addition to local retailers.

Do your friends chip-in to help you pay your phone bill? ;-)

Apparently Mfg. are not making it a priority over the other calibers.*

Source(s): * Run like a Deer.*................Fly like an Eagle.*~~