Why do people reject God because of bad things that happen while ignoring the good things that happen?

I hear many atheists say they wont ever believe in God because of all the various bad things that happen in the world. Their reasoning is usually something like "Why does God let [insert problem here] happen?" What I don't understand is why atheists fail to mention all of the good things that happen in their life. Most people have many more good things happen then bad things in their life, yet they keep on holding bad things against God as their reason for not believing in him while failing to acknowledge the good things that come from God.

(I hope to hear some responses from both believers in God and non-believers.)

One additional note: I worded part of the question poorly, I was not saying all atheists are this way (or reject God for this reason), but a lot of the ones I personally know reject him for this reason, thats why I was asking it.

In response to this: "Then why do you thank your god for all the good things, then ignore the bad things that happen?"

I would like to note that most believers don't ignore the bad things. Thats why you see them praying all the time.

• Mara
    Favorite Answer

It's just hard to accept that God doesn't intervene during the most heinous crimes. I believe that people are the ones who mess up, but it would be nice if God intervened more. He doesn't want to interfere with our free-will, but he lets others interfere with our free-will. I'm not blaming God, I'm just saying that when you see kids being raped and people forced into sexual slavery, people being tortured, etc., it can rattle your faith. I guess the bad stuff sometimes leaves a bigger impression on us.

Source(s): Christian
  • And as a matter of fact, your permiting something is not the same as you causing it.

And besides, God does not test us with bad things.

(James 1:13) 13 When under trial, let no one say: “I am being tried by God.” For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone. . .

When he permits us to go through a trial (remember he does not cause bad things) he may permit it for a reason and for a certain time he may determine before providing an escape:

(Luke 21:19) 19 By endurance on YOUR part YOU will acquire YOUR souls.

(Matthew 24:13) 13 But he that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved.

(2 Thessalonians 1:4) 4 As a result we ourselves take pride in YOU among the congregations of God because of YOUR endurance and faith in all YOUR persecutions and the tribulations that YOU are bearing.

There is a lot mroe that we could talk about this but I hope this helped some atleast.

If you would like to know more about this and other themes, next time Jehovah's Witness come to your door, ask them for a free Bible study at your convenience. You will never regret all the knowledge you will acquire and remember that what you do with that knowledge is your choice. Knowledge + Application = Wisdom

• Anu R

Oh, those atheists are stupid, and I'm and atheist. I mean, without bad, good couldn't exist, without chaos, order couldn't exist, without unhappiness, happiness couldn't exist. Happiness, order, good, all are simply reprieves from unhappiness, chaos, and bad. Bad is default.

ANYWAY...what you say isn't true. They're are MANY more bad things in ones like then good. The good is simply strong enough to keep us going through the floods of bad. I've noticed that some of those atheists just have more problems then others. Other atheists look at the world objectively and rule that if God exists, there should be more good.

Let them stick to their viewpoints and stick to yours. It's not your right to question their opinions if they are backed up by emotional experiences.

I'm not sure anyone rejects god purely because of the "bad things" in the world. More often, that is just another brick in the wall of evidence against god. (And even if you do believe in a god you must realize that there is a lot of evidence against him. Of course, this evidence would just make your faith more holy, but you still have to be able to see both sides.)

• Tropos

If you believed in a god that did both good and bad then people wouldn't mention it. You'd just have to accept that your god is also evil.

However you believe god is omnibenevolent, which is contradicted by reality.

Anyways, I have far better reasons for disliking the concept of god than the bad things that happen to me. :)

It is you who appeals to consequence in order to arrive at your beliefs, don't project your own fallacy onto me. If there were definitive evidence to support the claim that god exists, whether he was the reason for bad things or not wouldn't stop me from believing he existed.

That's not why I don't believe in God. I don't believe because the only evidence is a book that makes no sense, written by old corrupt men, decades after Jesus supposedly died. Not to mention the fact that the Bible lifted many of it's stories from other cultures. Those naughty unoriginal authors..

• a ☪

That's no the only reason, the belief in god is totally silly and not proved, and I just can't believe in a being that created the whole world and grants wishes and cures people.

It's not that good or bad things happened in our life, we just don't believe in him, get off our backs.

kthxBAI.

• ?

It is one of the reasons, but I do know that good things in this world happen, but here's the thing...I just don't believe in a God. It's man-made.

I don't reject God because of bad things happening. I disbelieve in God because of the lack of evidence.

However, the existence of so much evil in the world is evidence against the existence of a all-powerful benevolent God. So I got a raise last week - hooray. That still doesn't hide the fact that tens of millions of people are literally starving to death.

• khard

Their reason is that God is supposed to be omniscient and benevolent, but not everything in the world is good.

I don't believe in gods because frankly, I haven't heard a credible reason to believe in one.

@Vinz: Argument from incredulity (ignorance), especially when many fields in science explain this, is not a valid reason.