Why do people reject God because of bad things that happen while ignoring the good things that happen?

I hear many atheists say they wont ever believe in God because of all the various bad things that happen in the world. Their reasoning is usually something like "Why does God let [insert problem here] happen?" What I don't understand is why atheists fail to mention all of the good things that happen... show more I hear many atheists say they wont ever believe in God because of all the various bad things that happen in the world. Their reasoning is usually something like "Why does God let [insert problem here] happen?" What I don't understand is why atheists fail to mention all of the good things that happen in their life. Most people have many more good things happen then bad things in their life, yet they keep on holding bad things against God as their reason for not believing in him while failing to acknowledge the good things that come from God.

(I hope to hear some responses from both believers in God and non-believers.)
Update: One additional note: I worded part of the question poorly, I was not saying all atheists are this way (or reject God for this reason), but a lot of the ones I personally know reject him for this reason, thats why I was asking it.
Update 2: In response to this: "Then why do you thank your god for all the good things, then ignore the bad things that happen?"

I would like to note that most believers don't ignore the bad things. Thats why you see them praying all the time.