What underlies the common question, "What is the meaning of life?"?

What is it people are seeking with this fundamental question? Is it possible that life in this world has no intrinsic meaning and we are disingenuously applying meaning where none can possibly exist because we have become separated from our divine Selves? Is this question a diversion from Reality, where our only... show more What is it people are seeking with this fundamental question? Is it possible that life in this world has no intrinsic meaning and we are disingenuously applying meaning where none can possibly exist because we have become separated from our divine Selves? Is this question a diversion from Reality, where our only true existence lies, as we look for "outer" worldly signposts and values and merit in an attempt to fill the emptiness of this lesser reality that is split off from our true essence?

In other words, are we spinning our wheels as we attempt to find fulfillment and meaning here where there is no constancy, no consistency, nothing of permanence, nothing that is real? Within a dream how can Truth be attained or actualized? In human form would it ever be possible to live fully realized lives, or, as Jesus came to show us, must we transcend (die to) the limited body form and all the inconsistencies of this duality world to enter fully into our spirit bodies, our true bodies of cosmic light, where we no longer experience the illusion of separation from our Creator?

Are we looking for Love (happiness, fulfillment, success, even "wholeness," etc.) in all the wrong places...looking outward to find the elusive "meaning of life," when life itself is merely the vehicle for shedding the veils of obstruction and darkness to reveal the Light that we already are?

As ego beings do we falsely empower ourselves, thinking that we innately have an ultimate importance in this world of limitation and change, when in truth our only function here (through recognition and remembrance) is to transcend this very limitation? Are we not here to become fully that which we already are, but have fallen asleep to? And, if so, then is it not a soporific and delaying tactic to assign meaning to this life, this world of illusion...even impossible?

Is it not so that until we attain oneness consciousness and awaken from our dream of separation, this world we inhabit is a self-made, lesser reality that can hold no meaning...other than as a way-station for awakening to our divine essence as Sons of God/Source/All That Is? Is this not the only Truth to which we must awaken and wherein lies the only meaning possible...that we are one in the One, inseparable and eternal, and that we have never left the Kingdom of Heaven, but have only fallen into a deep sleep, dreaming a world of our own making? Would not assigning meaning to such a world be itself part of the dream?
Update: Thanks, crewsaid...i have one of Wei Wu Wei's books (Why Lazarus Laughed). i understand that he sat at Ramana Maharshi's feet, so i give him great credibility. i have ordered the book you recommend, as well as two others of his. Namaste
33 answers 33