Please name some low-carb, non-animal protein sources?

Lentils, soy, and beans are all moderate in carbs.

Favorite Answer

Enjoy the wholesome goodness of some low-carb, non-animal, protein loaded carrots. Carrots are good for you and cure most ailments.

• Like Austin said, nuts that DONT HAVE HONEY OR SUGAR on them are great protein boosters. Whey protein is generally extracted from milk, so depending on how anti-animal products you are, you should use that to weigh your decision (no pun intended, ok maybe a little!).

AS a vegetarian or vegan this is your hardest battle. How to supplement protein without turning into a big fat dork. Honestly, I would work my glycemic index if I were you. Break up your meals into 5 or 6 across the day instead of 3 last suppers. This way, any over carb consumption you do with be better handled by your body. As long as you aren't pounding soft pretzels and white bread, you should be ok, because you fiber is way high, and will pull alot of junk out of your system.

Do you include eggs? Some vegans do some don't... They're the best source of protein you can get so I'd at least consider it.

Nuts are a great lower carb source of protein but they're high in fat so not an acceptable alternative.

Also I'd find a good protein shake or protein powder -- those often strip out alot of the carbs even if it's soy.

Source(s): Years of training and nutrition
  • Reen

As an ex-vegetarian I am constantly amazed by the amount of vegos on this site who think there is protein in vegetables. This is just not the case. Vegies have lots of vitamins and minerals but no protein.

Meat, fish, dairy, whey, pulses, nuts and whole grains are the only things that contain protein. And as a vegetarian you should not worry about carbs as you need to get most of your energy from these.

The only fat vegetarians I've seen are ones who overdose on dairy.

nuts, avocado, seitan, tempeh. However, I wouldn't freak out about carbs. It's just another outdated diet fad specifically tailored for meat lovers. Carbohydrates are essential for energy, mood, and brain function. If you are trying to lose weight, stick to whole grains and whole proteins and avoid refined carbs with a high glycemic index. Oatmeal and quinoa, for instance, are super filling and some of the best foods you can eat before exercising.

I am a vegan and there are tons of alternate protien sources, although Im not sure about the carb content. Some include tempeh, soy yogurt, veggie lunch meat, tofutti sour cream and cream cheese, quinoa, brown rice, and much more.

Peanut butter, especially smooth style, has fairly low carbs. Almond butter offers good protein, too.

Tofu and Muesli are good sources, as well.

Brown rice, broccoli, potatoes and porridge are fair sources, but still not like the first suggestions.

Hope that helps you. :D

Whey

Whey is a byproduct of cheese production, separating from milk during curdling. It is one of the best food sources of protein, because of the high bioavailability to the body. Whey also helps regulate blood sugar levels, as it increases insulin secretion.

Whey has the highest BV (Biological Value) score of any protein source--a 100, meaning that 100% of the nitrogen in whey is absorbed by the body. Consequently, whey protein is a popular nutritional supplement, especially among bodybuilders as a post-workout snack. It is commonly available in powder form, to be blended into shakes and smoothies

Milk, cottage cheese, almonds, walnuts, peanuts, pecans, tofu, veggie patties, yogurt, seeds, beans, cabbage, asparagus, spinach, celery, corn, peas, and broccoli,

unsalted peanuts are a good source of protein, or you can take protein supplements