my hamsters toe FELL off what the hell do i do?

i had a friend over and she noticed that his back right fall and his last toe was, well, disgusting looking, it was red and black and looked infected, so i went and put something on it. and today i went to feed him and check his foot and his toe FELL OFF! (and it falling off or being scabbed over didnt seem to hurt him) it was gone and i put some more ointment on it. hes a normal hamster, i think hes a golden, about a year old and likes to climb his bars and he fall sometimes hes also an escape artist and he can push the top of his cage off and he runs to the attic so i was thinking he got in one of hes many falls or attempts to escape. So what should i do to help and any ideas what it could be plz help

i didnt mean to put fall in the first lin i suck at typing

Favorite Answer

Am I the only one that finds the headliine of this question amusing?

"my hamsters toe FELL off what the hell do i do?"

Hey, I laughed out loud! :D

But this is certainly NO laughing matter. Rush your little hampster to the vet asap. They'll fix him up. :)

Hamsters do not feel pain in the same way as we do. One of my hamsters once got his foot caught and pulled so hard his leg broke. Then while healing escaped and climbed up 13 stairs! So probably he is not in too much pain. But you should definately and urgently take him to the vet, in case it is something that spreads. What ointment are you using? The ones you can buy in a pet shop probably won't help much.

Also, try putting a heavy book on top of the cage - all the hamsters I've ever had have had a tendancy to push the lids off!

you might wanna take him to a vet. just to like make sure.

if u dnt wanna take him to a vet , you might wanna kind of wrap it and keep putting on the ointment.

i wouldnt worry too much about it. my pet rat was attacked by my cat(the others died. i cry thinking about it...)and his toe was cut off by the cat(probably because while he was running away the cat clawed at him) and it healed by itself. it happened at night while i was asleep and when i woke up, his toe was missing(although already pretty healed)and he was licking his best buddy that bled to death, trying to wake him up when he didnt know that he never will. he was the only one that survived....im crying right now....

wait.....oh yeah just dont worry it will heal. my rat is fine. he still climbs around the cage and can walk perfectly. it may look ugly at first, but it will heal.

Uh, well I wouldn't reccommend gluing it back on. How about taking him to the vet.

I would bring him to a vet. But until then put a disinfectant on it every few hours.

You need to just take him to a vet ASAP. Neosporin on it. Yes, you can use it on animals.

Yeah just take it to the vet, don't try to do it yourself.

• E.Y

take him to the vet!

You should call a vet.