Why would my bank acount have $100 more than I thought?

I posted a small of $169 earlier this week. I checked my account via telephone (BBT Phone 24 or some service like that) and it listed my balance that way - $169. Today, my mom went by the bank and deposited my last paycheck, $511, into my account at 8am or so. By the afternoon, the account is listed at $269. The $511 check isn't supposed to be posted until sometime after midnight or early in the am. When I go to my online account, it says my current balance is $169 while my available balance is $269. Then there is a link that says "view pending transactions" and when I click there it says "Date: 7/23/2009", "Transaction Type: Credit", "Description: Other credits", "Credit: $100".

There is a small question mark by the "Description: Other" mark and when I drag over it it says "Some Pending Transaction amounts are only available in summary form. This summary amount can include one or more transactions. The total of these transaction types is shown as one entry in the transaction table.

I'm not complaining, but why would this be? I know my paycheck hasn't posted yet, but why would this happen? I'm not going to go spending it because it may be an error. But what do you think?

Favorite Answer

Some one made an error. Hope that the $100 is yours to keep.

The bank may be giving you $100 of your deposit immediately and holding the rest. But to really find out you should ask them.

• got it

many banks have two lines to look at

balance 169

available 269

they "give" you a 100 for a overdraft in case you go over 100. the money is only yours until you pay them back -with fees, it is called overdraft protection

• kate

1) Something has Not cleared yet or

2) You made a math error in the register .

good luck

>