I have a 1966 dodge dart and someone told me not to run unleaded in it but to use leaded gas are they right?

it is a 1966 dodge dart 270 model with a 225 charger slant six it has an automatic transmission (like that makes any difference) and hasn't bean run in 10 years and i recently took it out of the barn and got it to fire up and someone warned me that it would eat up the lubrication in the cylinders if i kept running it with unleaded and so i have parked it for now, ALSO if you have any idea where i can get ahold of some leaded gas if this is the case please let me know

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

you can run unleaded in it and it wont hurt a thing on it,all unleaded does is not create the build up on the valves like the older engines would get,you can add a fuel additive to it to boost the octane rating if you want to and that wont hurt it either ,but it really isn't necessary,run unleaded in it,it wont hurt it,good luck.

Source(s): been a certified mechanic for 38 yrs now.
  • Joe
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

You sure are getting a diverse response to your questions.

Jeremy, cars that were built to run on leaded gas used the lead in the gas as a lubricant for some engine parts, especially the valves. So wouldn't it appear to be common sense that using unleaded gas will put extra wear on your valves, and therefore lose compression and possibly create an oil leak?

I don't know about your engine, but I'm sure there are replacement valves for your engine that is OK with unleaded gas.

Source(s): Worked on cars for over 50 years.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The valve seats and guides are the supposed problem. Some people claim that unleaded fuel will screw up the valves. Leaded fuel also had a higher octane rating. Simple fix for that is to either pull out a little timing or run premium fuel.

• 4 years ago

1966 Dodge Dart 270

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • J
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

You don't have hardened exhaust valve seats and that is why you need leaded gas for it or a substitute additive. It will eventually burn the seats. You can still buy leadded gas at small airports its called AVGAS, but its not legal to drive it on the roads. If it were my car i wouldn't worry about the slant six and run it as is until you can get a better engine.

• 1 decade ago

tetra-ethyl lead is a deadly compound which is not available at any price.The stuff you buy called a lead additive does not help much so don't bother and the valve recession that will eventually occur because the heads on a 66 vehicle were not equipped to handle unleaded fuel will be very slow and maybe not at all

• 1 decade ago

Nah, It'll be fine. At one time, when they first banned leaded gas, folks were afraid the lack of lead would ruin the valves, but time has proved that the valves are hard enough to take it. You may find she runs better on premium, but that's an octane thing. The slant six is an excellent motor. Practically indestructible. They used to have a product "lead substitute" available at auto parts stores and such, but i think its a waste of money.

Source(s): I drive a '67 Chevy van with a 250 six in it. Over 200,000 so far and running fine. She does like premium gas, but the increased milage and the fact that she runs happy on it negates the additional cost i think.
  • 1 decade ago

You can't buy leaded gas, so you don't have a decision to make.

You should just run the unleaded gas. If at some point the car needs a valve job, then just do the valve job then. Today, the strategy is to ignore the problem. 99% of the time, ignoring it works forever.

• REV B
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

There is a lead additive available at auto parts stores. Lead provides a critical wear reducing function by depositing a thin, protective layer of lead oxides on valves and valve seat surfaces reducing the risk of Valve Seat Recession. Without a Lead Replacement Additive, the valves will burn out at a rapid rate, leading to costly cylinder head repairs and possible major engine damage. The lack of valve lubrication often results in premature failure of exhaust valves due to a phenomenon known as Valve Seat Recession.

Source(s): Here's the whole article
  • ase_p2
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

1. You were steered wrong.

2. You cannot buy leaded gas in the US anymore, and

3. It's perfectly OK to drive.

Use a lead substitute (available at any parts store) if you feel more comfortable, or you can have the valve seats replaced if you are planning on having any machinework done.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.