When does the average parent start using swears when communicating with their children?

How old is the kid when it goes from "Sweetie, please pick up your toys" to "Pick up your ******* toys or they're going in the ******* garbage"?

Favorite Answer

When they are in college you can curse. I have heard my mother say F*&@ three times in my life and my dad probably two dozen times, but never before I was out of high school.

• Ista

My mother has never spoken to me that way. Now my father... I was 15 when he called me a B-----. That really hurt.

I don't cuss my son. I won't cuss my son. I have this thing about expecting him to treat me with respect. I also have this thing, where I think I need to set an example for him. With all that in mind, I don't care how mad I am, I will treat him with respect.

Edit: Thought I'd add, it was never "Please pick up your toys." I don't ask questions that I'm not willing to accept the wrong answer to. It was and still is, "It's time to pick up your toys."

Ideally, a child shouldn't grow up with a parent who curses a lot because it doesn't set a good example. But we don't live in a perfect world so the less cursing done around a child, the better.

Personally, my mother has been cursing around me since day one and I did pick up on it at a normal time (teens). But the difference is as a child, she didn't curse AT me but rather AROUND me, which makes a difference. Cursing AT your kids does more pyschological damage than cursing around them.

I am 46 years old, and I have never heard my mother curse. I don't curse in front of my children, even my daughter who is 18. I get upset sometimes and things slip out but I try very hard not to curse, even simple things like crap or damn. They pick up on anything and I don't want them repeating it.

No one is perfect and sometimes we all might slip up but i believe you should be adult enough to control yourself and your tongue with your children. We set examples for our children and they will mimic our behavior... and that scares me when i hear how some parents talk and act around their children.. and then see how those same children in turn speak to other people..its a viscous chain reaction

i would say teens....like 15-18. Though im sure most parents don't curse at their children. I least i hope not.

kids these days cuss too much....its like its "cool". especially F***, that's so overused. Cussing used to be mostly a form of anger...now it is threaded into natural conversations.

how sad.

you don't use them in that manor. My parents started cursing around me in like 5th grade. But normally its not directed at me. They use it in anger like pain ect. or to be funny. You don't want you kid thinking it is normal you have to teach them it is not good. MY parents Curse but i don't

How about never? Swearing at your child is a form of verbal and emotional abuse. I don't plan on doing that to them.

Well the real question here is are they good parents or bad ones?

My mother has never sworn at me. She was raised better than that and so was I.