Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 decade ago

is it too young to get married?

im 18 amd im pretty sure im in love...id like to get married only thing is im on my way to becoming a doctor(MD) im curious if thats too young and another tid bit...we are mormon..i understand it will be hard but....

Favorite Answer

I think 18 is to young. I have seen to many marriages end in divorce. You can be in love and stay in college and after college if you and your partner are still in love after you both financially able to make it, that usually means you both need to have your education and jobs. I understand Mormons do not believe in divorce. I have personally witness 2 Mormon marriages that had been horrible the better person of the marriages went through things I would have never gone through, being beat on cheated on with men and women, verbal abuse physical abuse. It made no since to me. Why a person would enter into a marriage knowingly they are gong to harm another person.

I suggest strongly you wait because I respect your belief's and there are to many in marriages that are torn apart from the vows of a person that changed after getting married.

Your only 18 and you have a goal to achieve for your career. There is 4 years of College/University, med school and internship. This can be very HARD on a marriage much less a good relationship. One must not forget the cost for getting your MD.

If you are "in love" with him and he is "in love" with you, then slow down a bit and both of you get your careers going. There will be plenty of time to consider marraige and make a wiser decision.

If you marry now, start school for your chosen career, get interrupted with having a baby, all this will put added stress on you both. Yes, I know there is birth control, but no method, save abstaining, is full-proof.

By the time you are nearing being able to hang out your own shingle you will be 28 - 30. Still time to het hitched and have a family.

Good Luck

Enchantra

Honestly, only you will know when you are ready. If you are questioning it, you might want to wait. You will know. Wether you are 18 or 48, you will know. If you are ready for the struggles of marriage and college, and the financial struggles of newlyweds and you are both on the same page about life goals, you may be ready. Make sure you both have discussed where to live, children, finances etc. Don't take the leap into a lifetime commitment without knowing things like that. I do not feel that there is a certain age that makes you ready. I was married at 18, and 8 years later, we are still together. I do not feel i missed out, and 8 years later, i back my choice as one of the best choices i have made in life. But only you will know, listen to your heart! and Good luck to you!!

Marriage is a serious commitment. Imagine spending your WHOLE LIFE with one person (that's SUPPOSED to be the idea of marriage, anyway). I'm not trying to be condescending, but at 18 years old, you may THINK you know everything, but the reality is, you DON'T.

It's so easy to think you "love" someone, but how do you really know if you have no basis for comparison? I know feelings can be very strong at your age, but how do you separate love, lust, like, etc. I'm pretty sure that a lot of the people who will see your question today THOUGHT they "loved" their first boyfriend, but how many of them are WITH that same person NOW? Sure, it CAN happen that way, but in the MAJORITY of cases, it DOESN'T.

Med school is no walk in the park either. It will involve a lot of hard work on your part. I know of a lot of people whose relationships ended because the partner of the med student/resident/attending could not understand the commitment involved in the field of medicine. Believe me when I say it's much easier to be a single med student, when all you have to think about is yourself and your work.

Why get married to the first person who asks? You're 18. Enjoy your youth. Enjoy being single. Enjoy every opportunity without restriction! You're at a very exciting and dynamic stage of your life right now, where everything is happening and changing and developing. There's a lot of time to get married and have a family later on, when you have a much better idea of WHO YOU ARE and WHAT YOU WANT.

getting married when you are still a teen is very hard. you will change and grow and your mind will do the same as you get older. so the person you think you love and know right now will be different as you get into your 20s, 30s... remeber that marriage is a sacred bond setup by god. the bible says that marriage is a threefold chord. which means that you, your spouse, and god are in this marriage. if you feel that you can' fully commit to that arrangment then you should wait. talk to ppl who are older and have been married for awhile talk to those who are in a happy and unhappy relationship. that way you can have a better idea what will be waiting for you and your spouse years from now.

Marriage is hard enough even when you are stable in your careers and older yet alone your age and trying to go to school to become a doctor. When you start your residency it will be hell and you will owe a ton after all is said and done in student loans unless everything is being paid for in full.

I say finish up your schooling and get settled into your career and then see how things pan out. I guarantee your chances of surviving a marriage at your age and with going to school are not very good.

• ?

You are a bit too young to get married. You need to be sure that you are in love before you get married. Become a doctor first then if things still work out then get married.

Look, I know this is not the answer you want to hear, and you probably won't listen (because I didn't when I was warned) but wait ..wait..wait...please wait! I am not going to tell you that you're too young. It isn't a matter of age -and in your case it may not be a matter of maturity, it is simply common sense. I was warned and I didn't listen. You two are going to change so much in the next few years, I can't begin to explain what the impact will end up being on your relationship.

Yes 18 is too young. Also you say you are pretty sure your in love. Well pretty sure and 100% in love is two different things. Never get married when you are pretty sure. Make sure you are 100% sure you are truly in love to get married.

Yeah, I'd say too young and I know you feel otherwise. Thing is, it may not be you. See, things change when 2 people live together everyday, and you really do find out a lot more about a person, and a lot of it may not be as you thought.