Employer limiting work hours based on attendance!?

My employer is a temp agency, and I feel is doing very illegal things. We are only a month into our new company, and we hate it. If we are even tardy one time, we are placed in a category for the next month that isn't guaranteed 40 hours.

We have all been guaranteed 40 hours up until this week when a co-worker was only given 5 hours this week because she was absent one day.

Is this illegal? Isn't full time supposed to atleast guarantee you 30 or so hours!? And doesn't this sound wrong? Do you know of any legal sites I can look at that might show me how to go about reporting this?

Thank you for your help.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • michr
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

And doesn't this sound wrong?

NO it sounds appropriate, hours are earned not guaranteed.

hours are earned through job performance, attendance, attitude, availability, experience, employers needs and labor goals etcetera.

the best performers are rewarded and those who fail to perform or fail to show up as scheduled are penalized.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Where are you?

Unless you have a contract guaranteeing you 40 hours work per week, and you probably don't, no there is nothing illegal being done. There isn't a legal category of "full time".

• 1 decade ago

Sorry, they set the rules and you have to abide by them.

Number of hours you get at a job isn't something guaranteed by law.

• kapn
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It is........perfect attendance is valuable and should be rewarded. If you can't or just want a day off..........that should be taken in account considering hours worked.........you signed on.......show up every day and quit whining.........

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.