Elligigio asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

My ferret bit off his tail?

Ok this sounds so weird. But a few days ago my ferret was hopping around being his normal ferret self. And he ran into a wobbly table that turned over onto his tail and i had to pick up the table because he was stuck. Today i got home from work and he BIT OFF HIS TAIL! It was laying there and he bit it ALL off. Why would he do this? Was it because the table turned over onto him? He has 2 other ferret friends so it isn't from boredom or depression. I can't take him to the vet for 3 days because in the summer they take the friday off too instead of just the weekend. So why did he do this is it because the table or could another ferret have bit it or something? Im almost sure this isn't normal is it?

In response to "how do you know another ferret didn't bite it off"? Why would they have bitten it off now instead of in the past 3 years? Jerk

Favorite Answer

nerve damage from the table falling on it probably made it painful or tingly feeling...it happens...dogs do it too...so long as it's not bleeding and heals well no need to waste money at the vet

Your ferret was either in pain or there was blood on his tail and the others chewed it off that's why they tell you not to let pet ferrets have bloody meat because that's what they have in the wild.If you can you should separate them till you get him to the vet the others could possibility kill him because the taste of blood.

Source(s): Had ferrets for years.

sounds like he broke his tail and maybe bit it off, or it fell off on it's own, due to the pain, injury or whatever... it wasn't because of boredom or fleas.... could be because he is crazy but if it was all of a sudden I would guess he injured his tail.

How do you know the ferret chewed off its own tail instead of one of the others ferrets chewing off the tail?

Could be the injury of his tail

Source(s): My uncle is a biologist

Fleas maybe??