STUDY asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Do Japanese have highest average IQ in the World?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The average IQ score on the Stanford-Binet test is 100.

Environment, as well as genes, plays a role in IQ. I think that the Japanese culture trains the kids to be more academically competitive (there are advantages to this), and I think education is valued more there than it is in the states (they treat teachers better!). Environments where kids are read to by their parents, and receive a great deal of mental stimulation, produce higher IQ scores.

IQ is very nebulous, like the other poster said. It's really difficult to map someone's intelligence onto a number.

• 1 decade ago

1. IQ tests tend to be culturally biased. If said high IQ person took an IQ test in, say, Nigeria or in the streets, they could also be considered mentally retarded.

2. I think you mean that the Japanese are considered the smartest and that may be because, as I have read, it is dishonorable to do badly in school and honor is very important in a family. Furthermore, the Japanese tend to have a higher work ethic than Americans (although MANY other countries do too) and the academics are more rigorous

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.