Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 1 decade ago

Can I drive my friends, even if I have a note from parents?

In california, for the first 12 months of your license, a 16 year old driver cannot drive other people in the car. I heard that if you have a note signed from your parents saying that you can drive (for example) "sam", can i drive him and then not worry???

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You are correct, however the note cannot be from your parents. It needs to be either from the school principal, coach, or whatever, depending on where you are going.

Here is the actual info from the DMV.

Exceptions to Restrictions

When reasonable transportation is not available and it is necessary for you to drive, the law grants the following exceptions for minors to drive between 11 pm and 5 am or to transport an immediate family member unaccompanied and unsupervised.

The law allows the following exceptions when reasonable transportation is not available and it is necessary for you to drive. A signed note must be kept in your possession for any of these exceptions explaining the necessity and the date when the driving necessity will end (except emancipated minors).

Medical necessity when reasonable transportation alternatives are inadequate. The note must be signed by your physician, and contain the diagnosis and probable date of recovery.

Schooling or school-authorized activity. The note must be signed by your school principal, dean, or his/her designee.

Employment necessity and the need to operate a vehicle as part of your employment. The note must be signed by your employer verifying employment.

Your necessity or the necessity of an immediate family member. The note must be signed by your parent or legal guardian.

* If you are an emancipated minor, no documentation is needed. However, you must have already declared yourself emancipated and provided DMV with Proof of Financial Responsibility (SR 1P) in lieu of your guarantors’ signatures.

• 1 decade ago

that really stinks in wisconsin you can have 1 person along with you for a the first few months and as many seats with relatives i highly doubt you can get around the law just from your parents Signature if that where the case id rob a bank

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I highly doubt that. This is because someone could fake a note from their parents saying they could have friends in the car.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.