Okay, so I need help with making my parents quit smoking?

It bothers me so much that both my parents smoke.

Cigarettes that is. The fact that they are hurting themselves, hurts me. I love them beyond explanation. & I really wish they would stop. I've tried talking to them about it, and they say "yeah, we'll quit, i promise, we will".

But do they? No.

I don't know what to do anymore. So I was hoping someone on Y!A might have gone through this before & could help me.

Any ideas about what I should do or tell them?

KKchev© - Ive already tried everything you said, but thanks anyways.

• Marnie
    Best Answer

Quitting tobacco is one of the most difficult habits to stop. They will always crave the nicotine. You've already reminded them that they are hurting themselves. It is also dangerous to you because you are inhaling it second-hand. Children raised around smoking can develop asthma and allergies. Eczema has been linked to both of these, so it could also be related to the smoking. Taxes are about to be increased, if they haven't already. There is a prescription available though their doctor, called Chantix. I have been told it is the best on the market for decreasing the desire to have a cigarette. It costs the same as a month's supply of cigarrettes. It may actually be less now that the new tax on cigarettes has, or will be, levied on every pack or carton of cigarettes. Some insurance companies will pay a portion of the cost of the medication. It's worth having your parents looking into it.

My husband took it for one month and stopped dipping. He did have suicidal thoughts while taking Chantix, and he is not predisposed to those ideas. That isn't an uncommon side effect. Your parents must make the decision on their own. No one can convince them to quit other than themselves. Ask them if they really want to quit or if they are telling you what you want to hear. If they really do want to quit, ask them to talk to their doctor about Chantix.

Well my husband who is not 34, quit smoking his almost 2 pack of Marlboro Mediums, over 4 years ago. Our son who was then 5, suffers from allergies and asthmatic symptoms. And the doctor told my husband that even though he smokes out side he is still bringing in the smoke/allergans off of him and his clothes, and that still passes on through our son. So he soon quit just for the health of our son. It was pretty hard ar first for him, but cold turkey was his only way he could do it. He tried some kind of thing he got from the flea market that he put on the end of his cigarette, that was suppose to help him quit, but it didn't. So his only method was purely just WILL POWER. After abour 6 months to a year he couldn't even stand the smell of a cigarette. He works with a guy who smokes daily, and it doesn't bother him at all and he is not tempted. Good Question!

Why don't you tell them how much you care, throw a little bit of crocodile tears if possible and tons of facts about what smoking can do for your health.

If that doesn't work. Take matters in too your own hands. This might be risky but take their cigarettes and hide them. Do whatever you have to do they're your parents and you really want to help them.

Smoking a square is probably the only small amount of happiness your parents are able to have to anymore. Trust me once you start having kids...

Source(s): PIZZA THE HUT!

You haven't tried this though... get ur parents some smokelesss cigs and explain to them the benefits of the cigs. they are awesome and i used them everyday. i haven't had a real cig in months. check this out. they should love this

There really is nothing you can do, except let your feelings be known. Because ultimately it's their decision, their tradeoff, not yours.