What is the difference between Arabic and Persian and Farsi?

How different are they from each other? Can someone who speaks Arabic understand Persian or Farsi speakers in Iran? And Why is Persian considered an Indo-European language.... The Romance and Germanic languages are Indo-european and I don't see much similarities between them and Persian... Not that I really know much of persian...

Favorite Answer

I agree with what the people before me said. And though they don't sound similar, but there are a lot of Romance languages (i.e. Latin, English, Spanish, German) that have Old Persian roots, that we don't learn because a lot of that information got lost during the Arab conquest of Persia. An example of this is "tomato", which comes from the Latin word "tomateh", which came from the Old Persian word, "tomateh". The Persian Empire used to be a center of trade and commerce.

In fact, before the Shahnamah, a very influential book written hundreds of years ago, Persian, or the other name for it, Farsi, was on the verge of dying.

Arab and Persian are really VERY different. However, Persian has a some alien Arab words that some Arabs will understand. Other than that, however, someone who hasn't studied the other language won't understand it. The script for Persian and Arabic look very similar, again, because of the Arab conquest. But in speaking, they are very different sounding.

Afghanistan also has a lot of Farsi-speaking people. People in Iran can generally understand Afghan Farsi, but may have some difficulties with the accent. It's like the difference between say, American English and perhaps Scottish English.

Just to let you know, some people find it VERY offensive to mix Arab and Persian with each other, and assume they are the same thing, or close enough. In the old days it was because of Arab-Persian enmity. But I personally don't have any problems with Arab people; my problem is that people don't take the time to differentiate between two very different cultures, even after they've been explained. So never ask someone if they are Arab or Persian. Ask WHAT they are instead to avoid offending them with the wrong guess.

Great question!

Source(s): Crazy Persian parents that lecture me constantly on Persian history.
  • janzen

Persian And Farsi

• Massy

Persian and Farsi refers to the same language.The official language of Iran is called Farsi, in English and other languages it is mostly called as Persian which is a correct transliteration of the native name of the language. Some speakers use the older local name: Parsi (پارسی).

Arabic is the language spoken in the Arab countries which is completely a different language from Farsi.

After the Islamic conquest of the Persian Sassanian Empire in 642 AD, Arabic became the language of government, culture and especially religion.That's why they are similar in alphabet and Farsi is full of words of Arabic origin.

As most Persians are muslim and Arabic is the language of Islam, they are familiar with Arabic but it's not the same for Arabs!

Farsi is also spoken in some other countries like Afghanistan which in know as Dari language and also in Tajikestan that is known as Tajiki language.

To RefreshinglyDifferent :Great answer!! You should be proud of your parents, I admire them.

Source(s): Native persian
  • K0oL_J

Yaya is correct!

Iran is in the Middle East but they are not Arab they are Persians!

The Persian's language is called Farsi!

NO, Arabic is totally different from Farsi, even though they kinda look alike in their script!!!

• Yaya

Farsi is the language of the Persians (Persian is the traditional name for Iranians). Persians are the only ones in the middle east who are NOT arab.

These days you can learn how to speak Arabic over the internet. Check out this online course, it's voted as the best Arabic online course of all time: http://www.rocketlearner.com/arabic The course is very easy to follow, I was able to learn Arabic in just 3 months.

I live in New York City, I wanted to go to a Arabic language teacher but that would have cost me over $800 per month. Good thing with this internet, $800 it's a lot of money for me.

• Debra

there is no difference