Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Why is it almost all the pitbulls are owned by the poor?

I don't want this to turn into a discussion on how pitbulls are great if you train them right, which is probably true.

I just want to know why, if you have a pitbull, and they're more likely to attack strangers than any other dog (pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings), why would you want to run the risk of having to pay for someone's medical bills and perhaps a lawyer if they sue, IF YOU ARE POOR. Get a nice dog and avoid that money trap.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html

Favorite Answer

What a load of pish

If you believe what is written in the report you are quoting then you comment "and they're more likely to attack strangers than any other dog" is rubbish, it says "The vast majority of biting dogs (77%) belong to the victim's family or a friend" hardly strangers. Read the whole page and not just the bits that suit your argument.

It also states "■Any individual dog may be a good, loving pet, even though its breed is considered to be potentially dangerous. A responsible owner can win the love and respect of a dog, no matter its breed. One cannot look at an individual dog, recognize its breed, and then state whether or not it is going to attack"

When pitbulls were banned in the UK dog bite reports didn't fall but remained constant, People that don't train their pitbull properly will just move on to another breed if it is banned and it will continue with that dog. It's a people problem not a breed problem.

Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan

Helen Keller

Anthony Robbins

Actress Molly Price

General George S. Patton

Actor Jan Michael Vincent

Fred Astaire

Stephany Kramer

President Woodrow Wilson

Singer Pink

Ashley Olsen

Alicia Silverstone

Humphrey Bogart

Ananda Lewis

Linda Blair

John Steinbeck

Fatty Arbuckle

Malcolm - Jamal Warner

Mary Tyler Moore

Steve & Terri Irwin

NY Mets' Mo Vaughn

Author James Ellroy

Actress Amy Jo Johnson

Hawaiian Singer Jack Johnson

Comedian Sinbad (David Adkins)

Rosie Perez

Actress Kelli Williams

AJ McLean

Rachel Ray

Orlando Bloom

Actor James Caan

Shaquille “Shaq” O’Neal

Judd Nelson

Barbara Eden

Veronica Mars

Author Walter Scott

Actor Ken Howard

Singer Usher

Actor Michael J. Fox

Inventor Thomas Edison

Mel Brooks

Anne Brancroft

Bernadette Peters

Julian schnabel

Jessica Alba

John Stuart

Jesse James

Singer Stephan Jenkins

Singer Madonna

Boxer Jack Dempsey

Actor Brad Pitt

President Theodore Roosevelt

Stephan Jenkins

Athlete Tamika Dixon

Singer Rick Springfield

Actor Vin Diesel

Barbra Ede

Cassandra Creech

Poet Sir Walter Scott

Shannon Elizabeth

Earl Holliman

David Spade

Green Bay Packers Robert Ferguson

John Stewart

Bill Berloni

Roy Jones Jr.

Serena Williams

Justin Miller

Cozy Coleman

Veron Haynes

Hugh Douglas

Kamal

Jermaine Dupri

Richard "Rip" Hamilton

50 Cent

Young Buck

Lloyd Banks

Jordan Babineaux

Jonathan Babineaux

Maurice White

Andrew Vachss

Ira Glass

Rosie Perez

Kelli Williams

Judd Nelson

Thomas Edison

Julian Schnabel

Stephan Jenkins

Jon Stewart

Tamika Dixon

Frankie Muniz

Jon Stewart

Artist Julian Schnabel

Actor Fred Astaire

Stephany Kramer

Third Watch's Molly Price

Author John Steinbeck

Author Walter Scott

Singer Chili

Kristen Johnston

Singer Kevin Federline

Pittsburgh Steelers Linebacker Joey Porter

Delores del Rio Actor Adam Brody

These are just a handfull of people that I would not class as anywhere near poor that own or have owned pitbulls.

THERES NO SUCH THING AS BAD DOGS, JUST BAD OWNERS............TRAIN EM - DONT BLAME EM

I totally resent your last sentence.

"Get a nice dog". How dare you. I do have nice dogs and they are rottweilers. In actual fact in the UK we do not have "legal" pitbulls now, although there are still lots about, but the bite statistics do not put rotties anywhere near the top of the list.

In fact the animal that kills more humans per year is actually ...........................

the horse.

However I would agree that the wrong types are owning these dogs and attempting to turn them into weapons. Here in the UK the husky is now on the rise as a popular "street weapon", along with other mastiffs such as the French & bull.

Please do not assume that all rottie owners are poor. I am not rich but I am a well respected ballet teacher, and a friend of mine is the physio for virtually all the professional dancers in London.

What dogs does she have -- rotties.

Well, you've sort of answered the question on your own. It stems from ignorance and lack of education which are directly correlated to poverty.

Sadly there is an overabundance of pit bulls around so there fore they are easy to acquire, and often free. The first problem. No cost to get.

Once a pit is in the possession of a less educated individual, the dog is subject to the possibility of not being handled and trained properly. Never mind their lack of resources to vaccinate the dogs and have them spayed or neutered. Which most educated people know, is a good way to prevent behavioral issues right from the start. It's amazing the role hormones play into a dogs behavior.

Upon developing behavior problems, the owner is not in a position to invest in corrective action.

It is an unfortunate situation that is a bit of a negative spiral of events.

The key to eliminating poverty is increasing educational opportunities for the underprivileged. And until there is a change in how money is distributed in the education system there will still be this gap between classes of people.

Source(s): vet industry worker

There is an over abundance of the breed as well as crosses of the breed. They are easily obtained and are not really accpeted as a purebred or refined breed. I guess each to their own and often then not, too many people get them as an "Imagine thing." I personally do not like the breed, nor do I trust them and that is from experience. But it is America and for now people can take the risk. And for so many that have the breed for an imagine they really do not worry about a lawsuit. Think about their life style, I think a lawsuit is their last concern. One can not get money from someone who has nothing.

There are a lot of good people out there that have the breed and they truly have them for the love of the breed and nothing else.

First & foremost statistics can be manipulated & presented in such a way as to give weight to whatever end result the person presenting the information wants.

As a percentage of the population serious dog bites/fatalities are incredibly rare, but at first glance that is not what you may be lead to believe.

Any dog could bite, but poorly bred & genetically weak nerved/shy are the most likely to be fear biters. People who purchase purebreds then fail to train them or purchase a breed because they want a vicious beast of a dog by their side, contribute to the breeds bad reputation.

A dog is only as dangerous as the owner allows it to be. The owner controls every aspect of their dogs enviroment including its training, where it goes & whether or not it meets humans, dogs & other animals. A responsible dog owner reads their dogs body language & ensures that their dog is always under control.

Poor in comparison to what? Someone of modest means may be a very responsible dog owner, whereas someone with more money than sense may not invest sufficient time to train their dog.

What is a nice dog?

A nice dog to me is not breed specific, has solid nerves, a stable temperament & is obedience trained by a calm, firm non aggressive owner to behave in a socially acceptable manner.

http://www.bestsunglasseshome.tk/

Health care reform hangs in the balance that's not an exaggeration. If Democrats try to delay Brown's seating by ten days, the blowback will be fierce.

(4) The decision was made in light of external press coverage and polling. (Coakley's latest internals have her DOWN four points in the latest daily track.)

• ?

The stats don't relate the number of bites/breed with number of that breed owned. I'm certain the number of pits (I use the generic term) owned is higher than the number of wheaten terriers owned, for example. That isn't included.

Nowhere is there any stat on income vs. breed owned.

Apparently you have some sort of horrible prejudice against low-income persons. I have been one of those persons, the 'working poor' I believe it was termed. We who don't have much money are just as wonderful people as those who have too much money.

I've known many pits who were owned by all sorts of people. I've known many lower income people who did not own pits.

Income has nothing to do with it.

Ridiculous rant.

added: Amen, Lorraine! 'Get a nice dog' ticked me off too. I've met MANY pits in our clinic, and even sick pits were sweet as they could be. They are ALL nice! And Rotts are awesome. They too, have all been nice dogs. I love Rotts.

Source(s): RVT, specialty clinic
  • rachel

I honestly think all the attacks are caused directly by the poor owners. They do not take any of responsibility it takes to take care of a dog seriously. Yes, Pit Bulls were bred to be fighting dogs and it's basically what they were for, but by getting these dogs in the right hands, we can change that. But people who get these dogs are usually lower class, irresponsible people who solely want these dogs because they look tough and they're "cool." The dogs end up living in the back yard deveoping these aggressive tendencies in them. They are a powerful breed and can escape the back yard. Without the training they missed by living in the backyard, they have no socialization and of course they will lash out at people and other dogs! They don't know better! These people also do not pay to get their dogs fixed because they think "Hey, it's a pure bred Pit Bull, so of course I have to breed it!" So they breed them without the money to pay for any complications that may happen, passing them out to all of their lower class friends and earning some "easy" cash. Those puppies could be carrying some of their parents seemingly bad traits, causing this chain to just go on and on and on.

People of higher class can pay for training for the dog and are a lot more likely to know what they could be getting into. They can pay for proper medical care and can pay to get them fixed.

I think Pit Bulls can be amazing dogs when they are placed in the right hands. Personally, I could never handle one. I know I couldn't, so I am not even going to try because I don't want to make my dog the next statistic.

• anne b

Well, how odd. All the people I know with pits are not "poor".

And bite statistics are always skewed by the media and the amount of mixed breed bites, along with all those bites that were never reported, so I would take that data and...throw it away!

• That's stereotyping, seriously. Do you know how many people here on Y!A own bully breeds? By asking this question you pretty much just insulted them all.

Being poor has nothing to do with your ability to have a nice, trained dog.