How do you define "God"?

It seems to me that it must be the hardest word to give definition to.

The Bible has its definition, but outside of organized religion you could probably define "God" hundreds of ways.

Which makes it so confusing to me when people call themselves atheists - I mean, in terms of the Biblical definition, I'm an atheist too. I don't believe in THAT God.

But I think there's some force, and I don't know what form it takes or if it can even be imagined by us - that is responsible for what we see around us, and by THAT definition, I believe in God.

Interesting that lots of the answers say "He" - I would consider God as more of an "it".

• Keith
    Favorite Answer

Most people tend to define God as based on the Bible, and I guess to each their own. Many people try to define God by first placing human traits on him. I.e., he's loving, jealous, angry, etc. I'm a Deist and I define God a little differently. To me, God is a higher, unexplainable force or power that we cannot fully understand, that gives life its initial spark and in whatever way, was responsible for first-cause creation. I don't necessarily see God as God the Father, God the Lover, God the Hater, a jealous God, etc. I don't think God intervenes in our day-to-day lives.

Praise be to Allah Haraam is that for which the one who does it will be punished and the one who abstains from it will be rewarded, if the reason for his abstinence is following the prohibition of Allaah. 'i believe things like " love"(attraction to the opposite gender) is haram too(including loving your own wife/husband).Because it wil never benifit me in the hereafter,since its not a form of worship.And it makes you forget about Allah and hereafter.Noone is worthy of getting more attention then Allah!' 2nd part of your question: You misunderstood! Islam teaches us to be truthful and realistic. Usually, we love because of Allah and we hate because of Allah. Islam teaches us that a male and female can build up a good relationship founded on marriage. All those stories of media and movies are not helpful to make a person comply with the teachings of Islam. We do not say love is halal or haram because it is a feeling. Maybe it is not under control. You can judge what is under control. But people who fall in love are in many episodes away from the cleansed and pure atmosphere. Marriages that are usually good and lasting marriages are those that start at the least affection. That affection grows after marriage and maybe it will grow until the couples continue their companionship at the Jannah. And Allah knows the best! Jazakallah!

According to dictionary scholars. God is a basic term for any god of paganism.

God in reference to Jewish Theology, isn't God its being named Yahweh in the original Hebrew.

Every Hebrew artifact such as the dead sea scrolls didn't have God, Lord on it. It contained YHWH which scholars and historians pronounced as Yahweh.

God was a term added by Bible translators who followed Jewish Hellenism and the belief that God's name was supposed to be spoken. Which is a damn lie. Concerning the fact that you need a name for salvation.

• Y

From an islamic perpective, you cannot define God. Soon as you define something, you are given it some of our limited perpective understandings..

We just try and understand God by the attributes he has told us about.

Such as Most-Merciful

The Forgiver

The Beneficient

etc etc

edit....We say "he" more out of landuage expediancy, but we believe that Allah is without gender.

I define Him as the Ultimate Reality of the entire Universe.

The God of Abraham is, well, Abraham.

There is a lifeforce in the universe. I don't know if it is the creator or not; I don't know if the creator is still around, I just don't know.

I think that is a good definition for 'God'--I just don't know.

The Holy Koran says about God:

He is Allah the One and Only;

Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;

He begets not, nor is He begotten

And there is none like unto Him.

It depends on the person and their religious beliefs. There are some people who are non-religious but believe in God.

Source(s): An agnostic Christian

Kevin, He is beyond your imagination, you will never define God fully with your simple human ability. Honestly no human in his best wisdom will never, never define God, you can't, I can't, nobody can't..

I try not to. That term is as foreign to me as is this Human world.

Saya