My grandma made me so angry?

She called and asked me to babysit my aunts kids who are 4,3,2 years old but I also have to watch my two sisters who are 4,1 years old. Which I do everyday for a couple of hours because my brother has track. And I don't mind at all. But thats five kids all together and I think that's too much for me to handle I'm only 14. I guess this is what I get for being so mature for my age.

So anyways when my grandma asked me I simply asked what time are u gonna finish? Then she said why does it matter? I was silent because I was trying to keep myself from being rude 2 her becuz I've never been rude to her before. Then ahe mkept reminding me how much she does for me (which she does and i love her)So I just said FINE I would do it cuz I didn't want to ruin all that money she was about to make (cleaning business) and I hung up the phone.(I was really upset and was trying to keep myself from crying). Ya I understand she has a cleaning business and my aunt was to help, but 5 kids is too much. I've done it before but with only four kids. My mom kept telling me I didn't want to do it just tell her but I just didn't want to get anyone upset.

What would u have said

Or done differently

Dang I meant to put this In adolscents

Favorite Answer

That seems like your gramma is taking advantage of your inability to say no. And that's what happens to people who mature too fast by having to take on adult responsibilities, they find they can't say no because they are afraid of hurting others' feelings or making it hard for them to deal with their own situations. You feel guilty and she used you because she knew she could make you feel guilty and say yes.

It's a real tough habit to break, learning to say no and getting over the guilt. You have to remember you're not responsible for her situation and you're not responsible for her feelings either. She might get mad, feel hurt or betrayed by you, have to deal with a problem of her own, but that's not yours to worry about. You have your own responsibilities and babysitting shouldn't be one of them!!! Watching fve kids is nearly too much for an adult and if something were to happen to you or those babies in your care your mother, grandmother, etc. would be in trouble with authorities for having such inappropriate expectations of you and leaving the children in an unacceptable situation. And if your grandmother were to get in trouble with child protection because she didn't make a good choice in daycare she'd blame you for allowing something bad to happen, right?

That's just wrong.

Question

My grandma made me so angry?

What would u have said

Or done differently

Additional Details

That is way too much responsibility for you. If something happens to one of those kids while you are watching them your grandma or aunt will go to jail. Depending on what state you live in it may be against the law for anyone to babysit more than 3 - 4 kids without a license to do so. There are a lot of things that can happen that most adults can't prevent let a lone you at 14 with 5 children under 5. I would just tell her that you can't watch that many kids. It is against the law and you are afraid that watching that many children you won't be able to supervise them properly. Let her know that if something were to happen to any of them that it would devastate you. Also it wouldn't hurt to tell your parents how you feel. Your mom may be feeling that it's too much responsibility for you as well. She just may not have said anything because she doesn't know how you feel.

• celexa

I guess it was wrong on your grandma part to put so much pressure on you and make you feel guilty. Next time ask her if you can help her instead with the cleaning and have your Aunt watch the kids because tell her 5 kids are to much for you. Another option is to have a friend help you out.

sweetie shell understand if you say no just be as polite as you can and sometimes that can be hard even towards family, that you love and care about so much, but just tell her you dont feel like it today watching any kids tell her you want to spend the day to yourself and maybe with your friends, cuz honestly sounds like your being taken advantage of. you need to let them know that you have a life to and you dont want the babysitting involved in every second of it. if not then find a few of your girlfriends to go over and help you out so you all win, the kids will have each other, and you will have your friends, good luck sweetie

Do you have any friends in the babysitting business? If you do, ask them to come over and help you. Or maybe if you don't, just get one of your friends to come and stay with you and if your grandma pays you, split the money. If none of your friends are available, just think of a fun fun games for younger children or tell them stories and make sure you feed them until your grandma comes to pick them up. Maybe this is time to see if you can handle 5 children now!:-) Good luck wish you all the best!

How about "Wow, I really want to help you out, but I don't think I can handle all 5 kids at once. Could I watch them at a different time when I don't have the other two?" They you are expressing your willingness to help, but explaining that the reason is because you can't handle 5 without being rude about it.

It is asking too much of a 14 yr old, I agree.

Choose a quiet moment when you are with your Gran, and you are both in a good conversational mood. Then work the conversation round to looking after kids.

Then put your case in an indirect manner, saying something like `I look after my two sisters every day for a couple of hours, and they sometimes drive me crazy. I`m glad I don`t have to look after any more. I just couldn`t take it." ` then quickly move on, so that she hasn`t time to argue!

This way you will have got your message across without having to conflict with her.

I probaly would have done the same thing. It is easier to just let them get their way sometimes, and it will work out better for you in the end. I'm fourteen too, and I agree, that is way too many kids at such young ages for just you. I hope my advice helped a little.

Good luck

Well honey sometimes we have to stick up for ourselves even when we feel that everyone will not be happy. I mean, it really seems as if you love your grandmother the same way I love mine and would do anything for her. But, you and her and who ever else kids that you are watching need to sit down and and have a mature talk. It is okay for you to set boundaries for yourself. I mean, you are the one watching the kids. But, remember be respectful about it okay.

Source(s): Life itself