Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 1 decade ago

Is social status in men and women related to height and sexual development are these things connected?

I believe all of these along with nutrition attribute to how much money you will make as an adult.Rich people get better nutrition fact so they grow taller during puberty. This causes them to have a high status later in life and increase their income potential or at least status. Its by my observation that taller people shop at more expensive stores drive nicer cars and are more sexually developed obviously noticeable in women but rich men tend to have have a more masculine look. If you grow up poor and say im wealthy its because your an exception to the rule and matured into a full adult. Ive noticed underdeveloped people either mentally or physically are criminals thieves or drug addicts because of poor upbringings and nutrition.This could explain why rich people are smarter they got better nutrition as a kid.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

What you're talking about is a correlation; height and "sexual development" (not sure how you're defining that) do not necessarily directly affect social status. Obviously, plenty of medium and smaller folks have held extremely lucrative positions in entertainment, politics, etc. Tom Cruise, Zac Effron, Mel Gibson, Sylvester Stallone, Robert Downey Jr., Jack Black, Napoleon I, James Madison, Prince, Earl Boykins (NBA Player, 5'5"), Kanye West, etc., etc. - all of these figures are probably between 5'5" and 5'8", thus qualifying as average or less-than-average in height. Gibson (5'8"), Effron (5'6"), Downey Jr. (5'7") and Cruise (5'6"? 5'7"?) either are or have been considered sex symbols. As for your assertation that rich men have a more masculine look; take a look at our congressmen (most of whom have earned substantial salaries throughout their adult lives) and you'll find the same normal distribution of masculine features you find in any random sample.

My guess is that height is positively correlated with positive self-image (at least in men); taller men feel more confident, therefore take more risks and are less affected by setbacks, etc. This is certainly not always the case, however; note that we have the "big, dumb, brute" stereotype and the negative self-image associated with it (e.g., "you aren't good for anything other than manual labor"). What this implies (in my mind) is that we teach our children how to feel about their physical stature. They, in turn, construct their identity with those lessons in consideration; they blossom into either confident adults capable of sucess, or downtrodden adults, insecure and afraid to take the steps necessary for success, financial or otherwise.

• 1 decade ago

Yes...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.