Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

how do you make good toffee?

i was just trying to make toffee and it was all going good... my toffee was light brown so i took it off the heat. all the bubbles subsided and i put a dab of food colouring in. i mixed that in then went to pour it into my tray. i noticed all the bottom started going sugary. then all my mixture in the tray started bubbling up again n it went all shitty n sugary. did i not cook it for long enough? or did i put my colouring in at the wrong time?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Best Toffee Ever - Super Easy

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

455 g butter

400 g white sugar

2 g salt

335 g semisweet chocolate chips

140 g finely chopped almonds

Add to Recipe Box

My folders:

Add to Shopping List

Customize Recipe

Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the butter, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Allow to come to a boil, and cook until the mixture becomes a dark amber color, and the temperature has reached 285 degrees F (137 degrees C). Stir occasionally.

While the toffee is cooking, cover a large baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.

As soon as the toffee reaches the proper temperature, pour it out onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the chocolate over the top, and let it set for a minute or two to soften. Spread the chocolate into a thin even layer once it is melted. Sprinkle the nuts over the chocolate, and press in slightly. Putting a plastic bag over your hand will minimize the mess.

Place the toffee in the refrigerator to chill until set. Break into pieces, and store in an airtight container.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sorry about your first batch of toffee, you did not cook it for long enough so the sugar didn't desolve properly. Food colouring does not affect it.

Here is a good recipe that I use and it has worked everytime:

Ingredients

1 cup (220g) caster sugar

10g butter

2 tbsp boiling water

2 tbsp vinegar

100's and 1000's or crushed nuts, to decorate

Preparation method

1. Stir sugar, butter, water and vinegar in a small saucepan over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Boil, without stirring, about 10-15 minutes or until a spoonful of the mixture crackles when dropped in cold water.

2. Pour into paper baking cases in patty pan holes; sprinkle with 100's and 1000's or crushed nuts. Leave to set.

Tip: For a chewier toffee, cook for a shorter time (until toffee forms a soft ball when dropped into cold water).

You can always decorate them at the end with extras such as nuts, 100's and 1000's or those little silver balls. Make sure to add these while they are cooling down but are not hard yet.

• A quick and easy way to make toffee at home! By taking a few simple steps you can have a tasty treat in about 30 minutes!

1 1/2 C Butter

1 1/2 C Brown Sugar

1 Pkg. Saltine Crackers

1 Bag Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Line the cookie sheet with tin foil or waxed paper.

Place a flat layer of saltine crackers on the bottom of the cookie sheet.

In a saucepan boil the butter and brown sugar for 5 minutes. Stir constantly to prevent burning.

Pour sugar mixture onto the saltine crackers, making sure to spread it evenly with a rubber spatula.

Bake for 7 minutes then remove from heat.

Cover with chocolate chips then spread over the top of the crackers with a rubber spatula as the chocolate begins to melt.

Allow to cool then break or cut into bite-sized pieces.

• Ingredients

* 1 cup (220g) caster sugar

* 10g butter

* 2 tbsp boiling water

* 2 tbsp vinegar

* 100's and 1000's or crushed nuts, to decorate

Preparation method

1. Stir sugar, butter, water and vinegar in a small saucepan over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Boil, without stirring, about 10-15 minutes or until a spoonful of the mixture crackles when dropped in cold water.

2. Pour into paper baking cases in patty pan holes; sprinkle with 100's and 1000's or crushed nuts. Leave to set.

3. Tip: For a chewier toffee, cook for a shorter time (until toffee forms a soft ball when dropped into cold water).

follow this recipe exactly

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMq0k03nKiA

Youtube thumbnail

watch the video...perfect way to make it...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.