Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 decade ago

Would Best Buy employees report illegally dowloaded content (I.e. Movies/Music/Programs)?

Would Best Buy employees report illegally dowloaded content (I.e. Movies/Music/Programs) if someone were to take their computer in for fixing? I mean they do go through your computer, right?

Favorite Answer

There's always the chance of some nosey person snooping through your personal files if you bring your computer into some place for repairs.

However, if it's just a hardware type of problem, then you can remove your hard-drive from your computer before you bring it in. They don't need the hard-drive in it to fix hardware problems. If they ask about the hard-drive missing, just explain you have your work and personal files on your hard-drive and you don't want anything to accidentally happen to it.

If however the problem is, let's say some viruses or something to do with Windows installed on your hard-drive, then they'd want the hard-drive left in of course.

In that case, if you're worried about that, there are ways to encrypt, hide, or password protect files and folders. Some utilities can do this for you.

Or if you're really worried, you can pay for some computer repair guy to come to your residence to fix the problems in front of you, that way you can watch and make sure he's not snooping into folders or files that you don't want him to be looking at.

They do not report it. I got a job there when i was 18 working for Geek-squad. We've ran across some nasty crap, once an employee found child porn when removing a virus. We told the manager and he said there was nothing we could do about it. I hated that place because of that.

Source(s): A Best Buy employee!

It depends on how obvious you are about it.

If you have the music in a file labeled cd backups they won't get you but if you put it in the folder PIRARED STUFF DON"T LOOK!!! then will definitely bust you.

For more cool information like this join the KnowledgeVault Team and I over at knowledgevault.darkbb.com

Only if they want their repair business to slow down. I wouldn't worry because they'd have to consider that the news might get a hold of that story and let people know that they rat on you. I'd never consider them for service if I heard they did that. Would you?

No, but they are required to report anything that could be a national security risk, child porn, or something along those lines.

They will only report something like child porn, music and movies are fine. But even if they report your porn you can sue them for looking through your **** like that

They are not told to. It really depends on the person.

Be careful though. I have a friend who gave them his computer to be fixed, and they ended up telling my friend's mom that my friend had downloaded porn to his computer.

i dont think they could report something illegal unless they find something like child porn, but if you download limewire and download music and videos, they won't report it... cuze i took my lap to in and my lap top was fild with music from limewire.... soo i'd say no they won't report it as long as its not illegal porn or something

Most of them are not smart enough to know what is legal and what is illegal.

no, i doubt it. they might look through your porn though