Jamaican Family using Skin Bleach..Thoughts Please. (Video Included)?

I had seen a topic on Tyra Banks Show and it addressed black women who were bleaching their own skin in an effort to have lighter skin. One woman had gone so far as to bleach 2 of her 3 young sons, (The oldest was already lightskinned) and another woman hated her darker skin complexion so much that she turned to using actual bleach, which burned her skin and left scars. I saw a video on youtube that reminds me of this situation but this time it's a WHOLE family in Jamaica using the skin bleach, men included. After watching the video and reading their answers (it's a bit hard to understand their accents) as to why they do this, it really makes me a bit sad that they feel like this is what makes a person beautiful...Here it is below..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQgSB2E9S_o

Youtube thumbnail

What do you all think about this "trend"?

I know this isn't a trend, hence my use of parenthesis. I called it that because that's basically what their excuses were for using the skin cream. They said it's a "style". And the one guy they interviewed said he got more attention from girls when he used it. That just made me have to shake my head.

Favorite Answer

I saw this vid long ago this is common mostly women bleach because they want to be brownin and attract guys.

the only bleach their faces.

Its no "trend" its been happening for decades among MANY people of colour. Puerto Ricans in New York were notorious for having bleaching products since the 50's. The same is true for Filipinos, Indians, Africans...its all because of the f*ckin colonial mentality.

Superior Intellect:

Colourism is still an issue in Jamaica even though most people there have African ancestry. Light Skin is still revered in comparison to dark skin, even in the caribbean. The dominican republic is mainly mixed-race, and yet there is still a strong preference for european features. The bahamas is 85% Black and yet their entry into the Miss Universe pageant has been White or light skinned more often than not. Same thing for most of Latin America and even some African nations.

Yeah, I watched that before a long time ago.

I think it is a shame that they bleach their skin, especially in a country like Jamaica where most people are already black as it is, so they can't use the excuse of wanting to have it easier in life and wanting to be treated better.

The bleach doesn't seem like it's changed the tone of their skin at all they should just give up on it and start accepting themselves for who they are.

Skin bleaching is also popular in various parts of Asia. When I was in Seoul there was even a tea sold that supposedly whitened the skin the more you drank it.

I don't know anyone that has bleached their skin and I don't see why. Nothing is wrong with dark skin, if it was dark skin wouldn't exist!

Look at this models skin, it's goreous, flawless:

http://b2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01516/28/90/151...

I saw that video a long time ago.

This "trend" is common in many places (India, West Africa etc.) and it's a shame the world over. Beauty doesn't have a color.

I wish people would just be happy with how they are born, like if you are a black person who thinks you're too dark so you need to apply harsh chemicals to your skin to change this, or if you're a white person who thinks you need to bake your skin to be attractive.

"trend"??? I think its stupid, really really stupid

People like that drive me crazy!

its stupid.

Source(s): naturally fair. no creams! and proud!