How do I get involved in scientific research?

I am a rising HIGH SCHOOL sophomore looking to get involved in scientific research and maybe submit a paper and go to ISEF. Please help me!!! Point me in the right direction!! I'm lost!!! How do i get a mentor???!! can i research what i want or what my mentor is researching???? Where do i go from here???!!!!

Favorite Answer

Hi John: Go on the www and find your nearest university. Locate the chemistry dept, research faculty, and read through what research they're doing on their web pages. Pick out 2 or 3 and email them or better go and see them and discuss working their research lab, initially as a volunteer (there may be insurance issues so I always paid my volunteers a token $250 a month to cover beer money). Do your homework and find out what you can about the research given your limited background, and ask intelligent questions. Make clear that you don't expect to cure cancer (not in the first week at least) and you understand that you will be the gofor and may just be cleaning glassware initially, but you will have your foot in the door. By two weeks you should have established yourself as indispensable to your boss's research effort and you can demand a raise to at least $275 a month. And hopefully you're on your way to the most satisfying career there is: pursuing new knowledge. Oh yes, google Michael Faraday (one of the all time great scientists) and see how he began!

Best wishes for a bright future. dr p

This is a ridiculous question. All may or may not have some form of bias. Just because a company pollutes and funds climate research doesn't mean that the scientists carrying out the research will doctor their results (although there's a good chance they will to secure future funding). A scientist looking into poaching of his favorite species may be trying to get an honest assessment of the situation, or may be trying to influence laws to further protect the species just because he or she wants more of them around. A pharmaceutical company has a vested interest in the public seeing its drugs as working well, but at the same time that doesn't mean they won't be honest about how well it works (like when it is honestly leaps and bounds better than the competition). Although a biologist may have unbiased research, having it "reviewed" by people who are not experts on the subject will likely cause the reviewers to accept or reject publishing the research based on whatever preconceived ideas they held on it. For the biologist this means that it's either contort your findings to appease the reviewers or you won't get your paper published. If I had to pick one, they probably want D, but it's still just a garbage question in my opinion.