Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why did God rename the SciFi channel to SyFy? Doesn't this remind you of the film Idiocracy?

I mean SciFi => SyFy resembles the devolution of Fuddruckers => Buckrudders => Buttf*ckers, could this be... A SIGN?

Favorite Answer

It was not God who renamed the TV channel. Ask the executives of the TV station on why they do that. Surely they followed a proposal from their Marketing Department.

First of all, let's just clarify that you are the cutest, damn fuzzy thing I ever saw.

And secondly, I find the switch to 'syfy' to be a crime against nature and humanity. My roommate claims it's because they needed to lose a letter in the abbreviation, but I still maintain that scfi is far, far better than syfy.

Wow, this is amazing. I had this EXACT thought the other day. The Idiocracy part, and everything.

Anyway, I am going to need to contact Upgrade about this immediately. He'll know what to do.

Edit: Oh, and I second MM. I miss him so much :(

• Ooooooh I was pissed about this change long before it actually went into effect. It's not just the stupid spelling, it's the programming line-up... they're fundamentally changing the channel so that it's no longer actually SCIENCE FICTION CENTRIC.

It's so insulting to it's long time core audience of science fiction fans.

Things are only going to get more and more dumbed down. Humans have peaked in the intelligence department. It's all downhill from here.

• Leo

Because "Scifi" is a generic word for a particular genre and consequently can't be trademarked.

that made me mad when i saw it the other day. someone told me (dont know if it is true or not) their website said they didn't want to be confined to a genre, they wanted to be a brand. either way, its stupid. i liked the SciFi channel dammit! i liked their little Sci-Fi themed bumps and in-screen moving adverts dammit!

He wanted to attract a new demographic, women who don't like nerdy science fiction, to a channel that features nerdy science fiction, LOL.

I know! Why'd they do that! It's stupid looking!

"SciFi" was at least relevant to the subject matter...

Its hip! Its now!

But fyi you should know that hip and now are ghey.