00101001 asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

Would getting a fixed gear bike make me appear too trendy?

First off, I hate trends. I've done my best to remain relatively original in whatever I do (if that makes sense). But, I'm moving cross country to college (SF to DC) and it would be difficult for me to take my 24 speed with me. Since there is no bike storage at my university, I would have to store my bike in my closet and really don't want anything with to many moving parts; so a fixed gear bike would be an inexpensive solution to my problem. But, living in San Francisco and being in on the indie scene it seems as if everyone has a fixie (and skinny jeans and maroon beanies as well).

I don't want to look like I'm trying to fit in, I just need a bike so would getting a fixed gear bike make me appear like I'm trying to be as hipster as possible?

Favorite Answer

What the hell do you care what others think?

But a fixed gear in hilly San Fran?

Ride what you like. I'm about as anti-hip as you can get, but I find a simple elegance in someone handling a fixie well. I came across a fixie rider the other day. I could've rode away from him if I wanted, but he was good at it, so I backed off to watch him handle hills, stops, intersections.

There's a difference between poseur and the real thing.

Personally, I'd just bring a beater MTB, but that's me.

The only reason to get a fixed gear bike is to look like a hipster. There is no other good reason to ride a fixed gear bike. Unless you race in a velodrome. You would be better off taking your road bike to collage.

I live and bike in the D.C. area but haven't noticed to many hipster types running around. I think that trend hit hardest elsewhere. You have practical reasons (and sound ones) for having a fixed gear and this would be a good place for one. Go for it.

if you enjoy getting high on a regular basis get a fixie. If you shitheads had any money, you wouldn't NEED a vintage Poo-zhow to get laid. Go have an ironic mustache growing contest in front of American Apparel, so that I can continue selling $300 bikes to fatties, which is what keeps the lights on

Fixies are all the rage in London too - but if it suits your needs, ignore the trend and get what you have to.

san francisco - dude you will need gears and brakes - period!!

wle.