What is this called? When someone say's a old saying that if you do smthin..smthin?

Let's say i'm a very religious person and i believe in God.

and but the i hear someone(saying) :"say that if you cut your hair when the moon is half your hair will grow faster?"

what is this saying called?

and is it alright, to try that if you are a Christian...... is it "ok" with Christian point of view?

and is it comparable with idolatry?

I completely agree with the fact that that is the dumbest thing to believe in or to fall for it especially if you are a Christian !

The reason i asked is just to reassure my self that it's complete bull'''' and that i was right in an argument with my mother-in-law about this.... :).

Thank You all for the fast responses!

Favorite Answer

its called being dumb ? how the f7@#$* can the moon phase change how fast your hair grows?

To believe such crap is an offense to christians, scientists, and everyone else.

Yeah, it's an idiom if it's a popular saying. If it's true, it's a proverb. If it's more of a superstition that lacks any real truth, it's an old wives' tale, which I believe is what you mean.

I don't know that there's anything unbiblical about cutting your hair when the moon is half to make it grow faster, but I don't think you want to be too superstitious. Plus, I don't think that's true anyway.

Do you mean a superstition? Or "old wives tale"

If it is superstition you are talking about then it wouldn't be okay for a christian to have that point of view as it is meant to be in league with "black magic" and in the bible this is bad.

Sorry if i didn't help.

Superstition.

Christianity is full of superstition so I dont see why it wouldnt be ok.

Idolatry is when you worship something other than God. So unless you're going to worship that hair you cut, or the moon is half, you're not committing idolatry.

• Paul D

You are talking about superstitions or old wives tales. No its not the same as idolatry. You aren't worshiping a black cat or a crack in the side walk.

superstition. Sure you can try that but it' won't grow faster.. like saying a black cat is bad luck or don't walk under a ladder.. superstition.

• Tom R

i have know idea what you are talking about but hair grows at the same rate whether cut or not.

It's called a "cliche" or an "old wives' tale".

Don't worry about it. You probably don't even know that Christmas and Easter are both based on pagan holidays.

Are you talking about "superstition", or are you just an inarticulate moron?

It's just a superstition.

It's whatever -- no big deal.