Which speed affects gaming? Download speed or Upload Speed?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • miha49
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I was a bit shocked at the answer that concluded that upload speed was the bottleneck. I have been programming computers for 40 years now, and if the upload speed is the killer, then somebody made a BIG design mistake.

Many of the high speed connections available stress the download speed and cut down on the upload speed. This is typical of the profile of traffic when dealing with the internet when your machine is not the server. Part of the reason they don't give you fast upload speed is so that you won't run a server from your home. They want you to pay for a commercial account if you want to run a server.

Anyway, that is a fact of life, and game designers, unless they are extremely stupid, take that into account. For example, all the view you see are very graphic intensive and require a lot of data to be downloaded. Things like your position is a simple set of coordinates in their 2 or 3 D space. Likewise, status or condition, inventory and other things like that are not graphic in nature and again are tiny compared to the download data. The upload data is extremely small compared to the download, and I cannot see that there is much volume of data that need to be uploaded for even sophisticated game play. So I respectfully doubt that the upload speed is the bottleneck. I do agree, however, that available memory is important. Processor and graphics speeds are very important as well. These things are required even if you are not doing online game play.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): speed affects gaming download speed upload speed: https://shortly.im/ljQQF
  • 1 decade ago

While download speed is important, most broadband connections these days are sufficient to allow for smooth gameplay. The killer for online gaming is your upload speed. It's crucial that you're constantly sending the game server updates about where your character is located upon a map. These crippled upload speeds are the typical bottleneck in personal gaming.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Neither.

Total bandwidth on the circuit, the processor and memory in the computer and the quality of the video card. All of those affect games in one way or another.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.