Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

"Does it really matter what these affectionate

people do, so long as they don't do it in the street

and frighten the horses?"

-Mrs. Patrick Campbell-

“I concur with you strictly in your opinion of the comparative merits of atheism and demonism, and really see nothing but the latter in the being worshipped by many who think themselves Christians.”

-Thomas Jefferson-

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

-Aldous Huxley-

“The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices - to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own — for the children, and the children yet unborn.”

-Rod Serling-

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

-Arthur C. Clark-

I believe that religion, generally speaking, has been a curse to mankind, that it’s modest and greatly overestimated services on the ethical side have been more than overcome by the damage it has done to clear and honest thinking.

I believe that no discovery of fact, however trivial, can be wholly useless to the race, and that no trumpeting of falsehood, however virtuous in intent, can be anything but vicious.

I believe that the evidence for immortality is no better than the evidence of witches, and deserves no more respect.

I believe in the complete freedom of thought and speech.

I believe in the capacity of man to conquer his world, and to find out what it is made of, and how it is run.

I believe in the reality of progress.

But the whole thing, after all, may be put very simply. I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie. I believe that it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe that it is better to know than be ignorant.

-H. L. Mencken-

“. . . now at least, in our immediate day, we hear a Pope saying slave trading is wrong, and see him sending an expedition to Africa to stop it. The texts remain; it is the practice that has changed. Why? Because the world has corrected the Bible. The Church never corrects it; and also never fails to drop in at the tail of the procession--and take the credit of the correction. As she will presently do in this instance.”

-- Mark Twain (1835-1910), Europe and Elsewhere, published 1923

“The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence.”

-Thomas Henry Huxley-

“At times, one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.”

-Friedrich Nietzsche-

“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

-Douglas Adams-

“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.”

-Douglas Adams-

“America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.”

-Oscar Wilde-

“Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed.”

-Neil Armstrong-

“Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve.”

-Dr. Napoleon Hill-

“Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.”

-Albert Einstein-

“Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first.”

-Mark Twain-

“Although this may seem a paradox, all exact science is dominated by the idea of approximation.”

-Bertrand Russell-

“There are in fact two things, science and opinion: the former begets knowledge, the latter, ignorance.”

-Hippocrates-

“Science has sometimes been said to be opposed to faith, and inconsistent with it. But all science, in fact, rests on a basis of faith, for it assumes the permanence and uniformity of natural laws—a thing which can never be demonstrated.”

-Tryon Edwards-

"No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master."

-Hunter S. Thompson-

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

“The Christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad.” ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

“A ‘perfect’ god created an imperfect being, and then blames the being for it's own imperfections! What a crazy way to be....” ~ William Shatner

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

wives may come and go, but my children are mine forever- joe frazier boxer

even though you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.

• 1 decade ago

"Perhaps the art of life is the art of avoiding pain." Thomas Jefferson

• 1 decade ago

"I've searched all the town squares in all of the cities and found no statues of committees."

G.K. Chesterton

• jrrose
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

"Give a good man all the power he requests to eradicate evil and before he is finished, you will wonder how evil switched sides."

• Padua
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

"Freedom of the press is limited to those who own one"

A. J. Liebling

• OO
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

“Anyone who hates kids and dogs can’t be all bad.” W. C. Field

"When does school start, again?" Me

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.