Is it safe to take small doses of 5-HTP with antidepressants?

I am taking 80mg of Prozac and I wish to add a small supplement (50mg once a day) of 5-HTP. I understand that combining them may cause serotonin syndrome. However, considering I am not taking the max dose of Prozac, it's a small dose of 5-HTP, and I am 6'9" in height - could that be safe?

Favorite Answer

80mg a day is the maximum dose of Prozac (it certainly used to be, if it isn't any more then it's still a very high dose), and I would be very wary of combining anything affecting serotonin with that or any dose of antidepressants as you do not want to risk serotonin syndrome - it is a serious condition which is not necessarily easy to diagnose as it resembles many other conditions, and can be fatal.

Absolutely do not start altering your medication without discussing it with your doctor. If you feel you need something in addition to 80mg of Prozac it might be worth discussing a different medication as Prozac may not be the best antidepressant for you. Don't mess around with your meds without proper supervision.

In most cases that should be safe. 5-HTP isn't going to automatically synthesize serotonin, it just gives your body the materials to make it naturally. Just start with a small dose per day, and as long as nothing bad happens, you should be fine. I haven't heard of anybody having issues when mixing the two together, just don't overdo it at the beginning.

• For adults, take one (1) capsule (50 mg) three times daily with a meal or at bedtime. 5-HTP may produce drowsiness .

Direction

Yeast Free, No Wheat, No Corn, No Milk, No Egg, No Soy, No Gluten, No Artificial Color, No Artificial Flavors, No Added Sugar, No Preservatives

WARNING:

Not intended for use by pregnant or nursing women. If you are taking any medications or have any medical condition, consult your doctor before use. Discontinue use and consult your doctor if any adverse reactions occur. Do not drive, operate machinery or consume alcohol when taking this product. Not intended for use by persons under the age of 18. Keep out of reach of children. Store at room temperature. Do not use if seal under cap is broken or missing.