overall has christianity caused more harm than good or vice versa?

christianity has caused many wars, periods of torture, enslavement, sexual abuse,stifled human thought but has also brought spiritual fullfillment, saved peoples lives from despair, given aid to other countries through church organizations. All in all has the affected regions of the world under christianity for the last 2,000 years benefitted or suffered from christianity

Favorite Answer

Why even ask? You have already made up your mind.

Stop using religion as a scapegoat for peoples actions. Study the religious text and its guidlines and you will see that people are completely ignoring the rules that most of these religions set in place.

You think the war in Iraq was the result of Christianity? It was greedy people trying to use the US to take over Iraq and profit corporations. In the process they painted a Christian picture over top of it to keep George Bush interested and to make him feel that his actions were right.

People do rotten things to "protect" each other.

If there was no religion people would use something else as an excuse to kill each other.

Religions have cause just as much harm as good. the harmful stuff shows through much more than the good unfortunately. But guess what organization are raising and spending tons of money to feed and educate the poor around the world. Most of them are religious organizations.

Most of the colleges in the United States that started over 300 years ago were Bible-proclaiming schools originally. Harvard and Yale (originally Puritan) and Princeton (originally Presbyterian) once had rich Christian histories.

Harvard was named after a Christian minister. Yale was started by clergymen, and Princeton’s first year of class was taught by Reverend Jonathan Dickinson. Princeton’s crest still says “Dei sub numine viget,” which is Latin for “Under God she flourishes.”

In the United Kingdom, the earliest university-type establishment was probably the College, established by the Celtic preacher St. Illtyd in about AD 500. Oxford University was established by various religious orders. Likewise, Cambridge University was established in 1209 by Christian leaders. Saint Andrews, Scotland’s oldest university, was founded principally for the teaching and study of theology. The commitment of these religious founders might be suspect, but many of the later colleges were founded by Bible-believing Christians. The University of Edinburgh had a thoroughly evangelical beginning, being founded under Presbyterian auspices.

MOST of the hospitals.... what names are on them?? St. Mary's, Holy Cross, Little Company of Mary- Christ Hospital.. etc etc.

MOST charities were begun by Christians, even the RED CROSS.

So- think again when you think Christianity was not a very good thing.

• You summed it up pretty well.There has been good and bad.Most of the bad was in the passed and I would say these days Christians do more good then they are given credit for and are picked on by non believers some times with justification and sometimes without justification.Christians are now being forced to accept the idea that they don't run things and I think with the exception of a few nut cases they have adjusted fairly well to being ruled by a secular government and have been well behaved.

Overall it has been positive. Even though peope righfully point out that many Christians have done wrong things, I don't see the unbelievers acting any better as a group. The ideals of loving one's neighbor and being charitible are traced to monotheism, even if the actions weren't always in line with the principles.

Good, people have tried to twist christianity to suit their own agendas but I have seen so much good out of it. I have seen lives changed miraculously and so many charitable organizations founded because of Christ's teachings. I am a living testimony he turned my life around and has given my life meaning and purpose. I feel whole where i used to feel void and empty. Thank you lord. He can do the same for you. Just pray to God in Jesus name that you believe he died on the cross for you and to forgive you of your sins. I will never regret making that decision.

I urge you to take a look at Galatians 5:19-23. That will give you a list of what those who are in touch with God are supposed to be like, and what the self-seeking will be like.

Then judge for yourself whether those who made war in the name of Christ were truly living by the Spirit as God commanded, or whether they were just acting on their own agendas.

• ?

I don't think christianity caused anything. It was the people that caused these things. We need to blame the people not the religion.

Religion is not only a plague to the world, but also very deadly in society, and the normal psyche.

Here's your answer:

www.exposingchristianity.com