how good is a .25 taurus acp?

i just bought one and i didnt do any research on it, i have a s& w 9mm at home just wanted something to carry around with me that was small.

Favorite Answer

The Taurus PT-25 is a very small handgun that fires a very small cartridge (.25 ACP). For what it is, it's not a bad gun. I've shot its smaller brother, the Taurus PT-22, which is chambered for the .22 LR cartridge, and it's a fun little gun for plinking at the range. But this gun and others like it are better served as a (last-resort) backup gun rather than as your primary concealed carry gun.

In the end, any handgun is much better than no handgun -- just the presence of a handgun, regardless of caliber, can oftentimes defuse a situation and cause your attacker(s) to flee. That is of course the best outcome when placed into a situation where you need a gun to defend yourself. However, if you do end up being forced to fire at your attacker(s), the .25 ACP cartridge just isn't all that effective. That said, .25 ACP is certainly lethal with good shot placement. However, this cartridge is simply too small to reliably and quickly stop even a single target in its tracks.

There are guns that are essentially the same size as the Taurus PT-25 but fire a cartridge that is much more suitable for self-defense. Generally speaking, .380 ACP is the smallest effective self-defense caliber, but 9x19 (standard 9mm cartridge) is an even better choice. The .380 ACP is 9x17. It actually is 9mm in diameter, same as the standard 9mm cartridge, but is 2mm shorter, at 17mm versus 19mm long. The extra length for the standard 9mm cartridge allows both more gunpowder and a heavier bullet, and as such is more effective for self-defense. But because the diameter of the cartridge is the same as in a .380 ACP, the overall size of a 9mm handgun versus a .380 ACP handgun can essentially be the same.

What I'm trying to say is that why go with a subcompact .380 ACP handgun when there are subcompact 9mm handguns that are the same size? Not only that, 9mm ammunition is quite a bit cheaper than .380 ACP because of economics of scale -- many more 9mm cartridges are manufactured and sold, so they are cheaper than the .380 ACP cartridge even though they use more metal and more gunpowder.

Now, let's take that thought one step further, and compare a subcompact .25 ACP pistol with a subcompact 9mm pistol. There are great 9mm pistols designed for concealed carry that are not much bigger or heavier than your Taurus PT-25. For example, the Kahr PM9 has an overall length of 5.60", height of 4.30", width of 1.10", and weighs 16.7 ounces empty. The Taurus PT-25 has an overall length of 5.25", height of 4.30", width of 1.13", and weighs 12.3 ounces empty. Less than 1/2 of an inch longer and only about a 1/4 pound heavier, and you get a gun that is much more effective for self-defense.

Again, any gun is much, much better than no gun. Also, if you get enough trigger time at the range with your Taurus PT-25 so that you can reliably and quickly place rounds where they need to go, it can work just fine for self-defense. But why go with a .25 ACP concealed-carry handgun when you can get a 9mm concealed-carry handgun for (essentially) the same size and weight?

Source(s): Specifications on the Taurus PT-25 from the Taurus USA web site at http://www.taurususa.com Specifications on the Kahr PM9 from the Kahr Arms web site at http://www.kahr.com/
  • Susan

The .22 LR ammunition is much cheaper and more powerful than the .25 ACP I'd go with the .22 LR. CCI stingers work fine, don't use the cheapest stuff you can find. The Ruger LCR is smaller than the Taurus .25 ACP and shoots the .380 ACP a much better choice than either of the two pistols mentioned.

• H

The gun itself is okay. The caliber leaves a lot to be desired. Consider selling/trading and getting at least a .32 acp. The Beretta Model 3032 Tomcat comes to mind. Loaded with Winchester Silvertip ammo this one is close to standard .380 Auto performance. Or just get the Ruger LCP which is a .380 Auto.

H

Don't get a 25 unless you want to shoot little rats if you have a rodent problem (like NY). If you want to get a 'pocket gun' don't go smaller than 380 auto is what I recommend.

You know you could possibly get a 9mm in a small pocket size gun, capacity would probaby be 6-7 rounds to.

25s, 32s way to small for any real defense.

Source(s): me logic gun owner.

If you can manage to sell it do so, if you shoot someone with that thing its only going to piss them off unless you get em right in the eye then you might have a chance haha. The 9mm is something I'd recommend you'd carry around however like me my 9mm is in a full size gun and is fairly challenging to conceal on my person, but its something you could easily fit into a purse, if you want to pack a punch they make plenty of 9mm and .40's in sub compact semi's

• As any veteran of law enforcement can tell you, the little .25ACP round has killed a lot of folks over the years. It isn't the first choice for a lot of folks, as a matter of fact it is about the last choice for some people due to it's cheaper price. The Little .25 caliber bullet, when fired close and into the soft tissue of the belly, can get inside the cavity and doesn't have the power to get out past any bony structures, so it just zips around inside the gut cutting as it goes....

But I would avoid using it in the winter months as a few layers of clothing can sometimes defeat this little pip squeak.

I'm told that no one has ever complained of being shot with too small of a bullet...

A .25 is not my first choice,nor my second. If you practice with it and feel comfortable with it - go for it. Better the little gun when you need it rather than the big gun at home you don't like to lug around.

Taurus is not best brand of pistol, and .25ACP have too little power of self-defense, smallest effective handguns are .38 special "snubnose" revolvers and .380ACP semi-autos, I use .38 Special Smith & Wesson "Bodyguard" revolver and .380ACP Walther "PPK", they are small handguns, have some power too, compact 9mm pistols not so reliable so full-size models, my lover read of tests of compact and full-size 9mm Luger pistols of Beretta and SIG, full-size models are 100% reliable, compacts are 91% reliable, he insist any gun he use of self-defense never malfunction, so use full-size 9mm pistols, many people at YA give bad answers, they not test guns, not know if they are reliable, accurate, etc.

* Forget about it. Bad idea.*

Source(s): * Run like a Deer.*.....................Fly like an Eagle.*~~