Why do people refer to Australia, Indonesia, and New Zealand as Oceania?

Oceania is not a continent, because Indonesia is part of Asia and New Zealand is part of Australia (at least I think so).

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Katty
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Oceania is not a continent but a REGION. So Oceania (when referring to it as a region- consists of the continent of Australia, Polynesia, Melanesia, Micronesia, New Guinea, and New Zealand.

e.g. Hawaii is not part of the continent of North America, but is included in the REGION of North America.

Geography is meant to be confusing

• Login to reply the answers
  • hipp5
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Oceania is a continent. However, you are right about Indonesia not being part of it (it's part of Asia).

New Zealand is its own county.

The countries making up Oceania are:

Australia

New Zealand

Vanuatu

Fiji

Tonga

Samoa

Tuvalu

Nauru

Palau

Kiribati

Micronesia

The Marshall Islands

The Solomon Islands

Source(s): My brain.
  • 1 decade ago

Oceania was the continent that was predicted to be there before Australia and New Zealand were visited by Europeans. It was believed that there had to be a continent there to counterbalance the continents that were known. The area around Australia and New Zealand was also know as the antipodes (the opposite side of the world).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have never considered any of those places "Oceania" have always called them by their name. And I have always called the continent you are referring to as the Australian continent since it is the largest land mass in that area. Just as there is the European continent, Asian continent, Africa continent, Antarctic continent, North American continent and South American continent. But it could also be a change in names to reflect a more correct term for the continent.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

because although australia is a continent, naming the continent after just one of its countries doesnt do justice to the rest (new zealand, etc.).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.