Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

How to clean a Washing Machine?

We just purchased a home and it comes with a washing machine and dryer. Its my first time owning(always used laundry mat before) and was wondering if there is something I can put in the first time I use it like viniegar or a product to make sure it is clean before washing my clothes.

Favorite Answer

Just run it through a regular cycle with some detergent, and relax.

• Sandra

Normally the soap tray has a plastic tab, usually in the middle, either on top or sometimes at the bottom. When you press this tab, the tray can be pulled completely out and easily cleaned in a sink with an old tooth brush. All soap trays are designed to be easily removed for cleaning. About the rubber rim you have to be careful what to use because it can be damaged with solvents or acidic detergents. I suggest that you clean it with a mild dish washing liquid and rinse it properly. In the future leave the machine door ajar so that it can dry between washes. If you can leave it open, it is even more better.

• ROBERT

No, just wash your clothes in hot water with laundry soap and the washing tub will keep itself clean. The dryer has an enigma called the lint filter that has flabbergasted me to this day.

• hapa1

you have a lot of answers saying use bleach don't it rots the pipes if you feel the machine is dirty or it's not been used for a bit then just give it a run without clothes at about 60 degrees

You can check the washing machine maintenance tips here:

http://indiahometips.com/washing-machine-maintenan...

• Beth

Run the machine with a cup of vinegar and no clothes.

put it on a wash cycle with laundry soap. hot water for wash and rinse

do a boil wash without clothes,but still use detegent.that should kill any bacteria.always remember to keep your door open so machine can dry after washing,otherwise machine will smell.

Wipe it down with vinegar, then use vinegar when you wash your clothes. If the former owner's clothes were clean, then the washer is clean.

• ?

do a hot wash at 90 empty with mild bleach