Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

How can Harley Davidson sell motorcycles when they refuse financing for a person with a $5000 down payment?

No wonder HD is in trouble!

No wonder they don't sell bikes!

How can they sell $20K bikes when they refuse financing?

Best Answer

It's not just HD's. Have you tried to finance a Suzuki lately, impossible almost. I had a friend who wanted to buy one of their trikes, he had a good credit rating and he was denied. The dealer told him it's very hard to get approved for Suzuki credit right now.

You must have horrible credit. I've seen people with no real jobs qualify for HD loans.

Anyway, that's part of the reason the average age of a harley owner is 46. we save up our money and pay cash. When you grow up and get a job, you'll see how it works.

Oh and by the way, since you closed out your other post concerning Harley sales??? The figures you were quoting were profit losses at 91 percent, not sales. Sales for the second quarter were down something like 35 percent over the previous quarter. Their profit margin was still close to 1.12 billion.

There are many things that can affect profits and few have to do with total sales as you were trying to intimate. HD is in no more trouble than the rest of the auto/motorcycle industry.

because just having 5 large is all fine and dandy but thats not all they look at; the rest has to be paid somehow, so how are you gonna do that? get your ducks in a row before you even walk in the door. look, if you walk in the place and plop down 5K and say "give me a bike and don't worry how i'm gonna pay for it" you will get laughed out the place.

-HD is not in trouble I guarantee you that; no more than your local Lowe's lumber yard. -its the economy, stupid, or have you been under a rock for the past year and a half?

-they ARE selling bikes, go get one and quit complaining

-only a very small percentage of their line is over $20K, with most between 8K & 16K (you of all people should know that) so choose a bike that is $15K or less and have fun

Easy. They sell them to people who can afford them. I paid cash for mine....saved my money until I could buy another Harley and rode a Yamaha in the mean time.

Seems like Harley is still doing good to me....I see the local dealers around San Diego expanding!

Source(s): been riding 30 years

Cause alot of people pay cash, and not that im saying your risky but they assess a lot of factors in providing finance and if you don't measure up then your a risk that they are not willing (or legally allowed) to take. Try going straight through a bank

It's not Harley that refuses to finance someone. It's the bank.

Perhaps that person has bad credit? Or perhaps their own access to credit for their customers have dried up...economy perhaps?

I am sure there's a reason, a company that doesn't want to make money wouldn't be in the business for a long time...and HD's been there for a while.

Bart you are an a$$,anytime any place my flht and I will put you and your big wheel to shame,you ball less freak.some people are tired of your harley bashing.So go ask mommy if you can come out and play.

Did you get kicked out of the dealers again for talking crap & annoying GENUINE customers.H.D. moves heaps of bikes -a nothing like you ain't gonna worry them so why don't you shut up?

Why not go and arrange your own credit. Its a fact that most often doing this will see you get a better deal anyway.