EiTaK ♥ asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

what's the rule of brushing your teeth after eating chocolate? (or anything acidic)?

i've heard two things..

i've heard to brush them RIGHT after

but then i've also heard to wait an hour because the chemicals from the toothpaste react badly with the chemicals in the chocolate and acidic foods....

which is the correct way to going about this?

thanks

:)

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Brush your teeth IMMEDIATELY AFTER.

If you cant, at LEAST rinse your mouth.

If you let it sit too long the sugary acids will start to sit on your teeth and start the formation of plaque!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

You should rinse out your mouth several times with warm water and then use a dental rinse if not brushing your teeth to kill germs. Many people who suck on candy, breath mints, etc develop cavities below the gum line especially as they age. This is because as we age the upper gum tissue softens and allows decay causing bacteria to get below the gum line and cause tooth decay. Many people will have capped teeth and not know why suddenly a tooth is causing them pain. At the dentist's office they learn they have a cavity below their gum line. If you catch this tooth decay early the dentist can likely drill into your tooth and clean out the decay, then put in a permanent filling. If you wait too long you may have to have the cap cut off in order for the dentist to clean up the tooth decay and you might need a root canal. Besides brushing your teeth twice daily you should also use a fluoride rinse once/day to help keep the tooth enamel strong.

• 1 decade ago

At least rinse w/ water right after but I think you will be fine to brush. Just make sure there's no chocolate left in your teeth otherwise you'll just be brushing the chocolate around.

• 1 decade ago

I think it is better better to brush right after you eat that stuff you know.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.