promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Why did the US military switch from a .45 ACP to the 9mm?

I just think that it would make more sense to stay at the .45 ACP than to switch to the weaker 9mm. They didn't have to keep the Colt, but wouldn't it be wiser to keep the stronger and all round better round?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

As a practical matter any 9mm or 0.45 ACP cartridge in a military loading is going to be a mediocre manstopper. Only with civilian rounds do you see a really huge difference.

Also as a practical matter a pistol is never going to win a war, or a battle so I frequently wonder what all the fuss is about. Sidearms are primarily a fashion accessory for officers. If your using one in the heat of combat something has gone terribly, terribly wrong.

But the most practical reason to switch is that 9x19mm Parabellum is the NATO standard pistol cartridge. Nobody else was using 0.45 ACP so for the purposes of commonality, since the M1911's were worn out and needed to be replaced anyway it made sense to standardize with our allies just like with have with rifle, machine gun, tank and artillery ammunition. 9mm is also a much easier caliber to train a soldier to shoot which has benefits of its own. It doesn't matter how great the bullet is if the soldier can't hit anything with it.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Elaine
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awLPn

Yes. Most all of America's Elite forces have done this already - from the Navy Seals to Army Special Forces - and the US Coast Guard as adopted a 45 sig as the new side arm. This is not surprising. Back in the late 1960's when I was a kid and Canada went to the 9mm - every gun shop in America had cases and cases of Canadian surplus 45acp - walls of the stuff. Not so with the US. When the US went to the 9mm - Uncle Sam kept all the 45 ammo, 1911 pistols and parts in storage. Since the US has billions of rounds in inventory - it's no sweat for them to support it. That - and it makes the GAO happy since they are not paying to store ammo that is not being used. 45 use for special ops and small branches has been the norm for quite some time. They only go to 9mm when working with other NATO countries.

• 3 years ago

Military 45 Acp

• Evelyn
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Well, I agree with everybody talking about the M9 rumors since 86. But sadly. I do not think that thee are buildings filled with 45's. I know that Bubba (Clinton) had a couple of million of them destroyed. That's why they never hit the street in waves as surplus weapons.We did keep out 45s and added the M9 to the armory Even the SF Reserve anGuardrd units kept them. Food for thought..A lotot of units deployed iAfghanistanan and Iraq are allowing soldiers to carry their own back up pieces... So a lot of 1911 are already back in service in the services LOL!! So, who knows, there could be a little more to it this time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • .45 is good for closer ranges. The first answer is right. Also, the 9mm has a longer range than the .45 and you can carry more 9mm rounds in a mag. I've shot pistols with both rounds and they can both can kill. The 9mm just needs a little more accurate shot placement.

• 1 decade ago

It's a tough economy, and 9mm ammo is cheaper and more available than .45 is.

Plus, do not underestimate the effectiveness of a 9 when it has a good load.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i am a colt fan, i own a 1911 that i got from my grandfather and now that's one kickass gun! but because liberals are all anti war, they want us to rather wound our enemies now. kinda silly right? they are always making our stuff weaker.

but heres why the the 9mm is a bit better-

larger magazine capacity

bullet speed

recoil

ammo price

newer design

accuracy

either way taking a bullet hurts like hell

they should be using 9mm parbellum if they want power.

the marine corps marsoc use a 1911 custom called the meusoc pistol.

the 1911 is more powerful and damaging, but it lacks accuracy and range. not that its bad but compared to beretta this 100 year old gun seems to be a bit less accurate.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

More standard with the world and holds more rounds. I would go for a .40 cal to stop people better. 9mm is not very respected for that.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

9mm has more muzzle velocity giving it better armor piercing capabilities

not to say a 45 wouldnt go through body armor the 9mm is just better suited for it and in this day personal body is getting better and cheaper fast

• 1 decade ago

Well i don't know the official answer but i've heard that it had to do with politics. Beretta is an Italian gun manufacturer, and in order to keep troops in Italy, the U.S. struck up quite a large deal in switching over to the Beretta 9 mm

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.