J.J. asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

How to pick a hockey team to like.?

I've never been into hockey before but im really starting to like it. Everyone seems to be a die hard fan of a team. How can I pick a team to like? I live near toronto..but leafs suck (maybe not after the recent draft) so if not leafs then who?

Best Answer

i would just go with your home team

• ?

Pick a style of play you like.

Do you like a gritty hard working team not afraid to drop the gloves? The Ducks (or now possibly the Leafs) are probably for you.

Like a high skill, fast team that's offense first, second and third? You'll probably like Atlanta or Pittsburgh.

Like a well rounded team that, hits, shoots, skates will drop the gloves and doesn't have any major weaknesses? Boston, Chicago, Calgary, and Philly are probably your type.

Want a 'pure skill' well rounded team that isn't all that physical, skates well, and makes passes very well? The Wings are probably your team.

My fave NHL teams are:

Boston (local) and by far #1

Chicago - Toews is amazing, Kane is really skilled, Byfugelin is a wrecking ball, their D is quite solid and it's much easier to like a team my boys don't play 4-6 times a season. :-)

Calgary - Jarome Igilna is awesome, they will have the scariest D on the planet to open the season if things stay about where they are now.

Washington - Ovi is amazing, he hits, he shoots and he celebrates all the goals his team scores whole heartedly, Backstrom, Semin, and Laich are nothing to sneeze at either. Someday they may even have a defense worthy of the name. Varlemov could prove to be a big time goal tender.

Yeah go with the home team...You'll get to watch them get better as time goes on and you'll get ridiculed in the beginning but, in the end when they start to get better you can be like HA! I was with them the WHOLE time. I salute fans who are capable to stick with a crappy team for so many years and not give up on them. But if you really don't wanna go with the Leafs, then you could always follow the team where your favourite player plays.

it doesnt matter if the leafs suck, you still have to cheer for them or you will be considered a bandwagoner. Besides, the leafs are starting to get better anyways.

It doesn't sound like you even like hockey. It sounds like you just want a good team to root for. Well, if you don't even like hockey and you just want to be a fan because everybody else is, become a Penguins fan. Over half of the Penguins "fans" are bandwagoners. Help show that Penguin "fans" are bandwagoners and full of ****.

go blackhawks (born and raised in chicago)

Be a Leafs fan

Source(s): Tired of listening to people who are Red Sox, Lakers, Patroits, and Penguins fans.

You should still like them, the Leafs are bad but there not the worst team there is, you should still root for your hometown team, do you think I like watching my Detroit Lions football team lose every game? no but I still watch them :(

Go with the local team even if they suck. You'll have the fun of watching them while they get better.

you really dont have to like a team near you i like the anaheim ducks and i dont live in california just pick a team that you think is really good

Honestly, if you have no reason to be a diehard fan of a team, don't try to pretend you are one. Just enjoy the game and eventually the team will come to you naturally.

You will become a Leaf fan, they will cast you under their spell.