Why do some people seriously believe a 2 year County College degree is better than a 4 year University degree?

I got to Rutgers University in New Jersey and have alot of friends who go to a local county college. They always say its a waste of time to go to school for 4 years when they can go for 2. They believe they will somehow make more money with a degree from county college than somebody who has a degree from a 4 year university. I may be wrong in some sense but I thought that was a reason why many people go to a 4 year university after they finish county college

I dont believe it but Im wondering why so many county college students think that.

• El Bow
    Favorite Answer

"I have done a lot of research, and [as a Nuclear Medicine Technologist] I will be making 80-140K per year."

The source below states that the average salary for a Nuclear Medicine Technologist is ~$64K per year. (AMA quotes ~$68K with experience). Average starting wage is ~$22/hr.

More from a recent on-line discussion on the panic among 2yr NMT graduates:

"I've talked to couple to be students this year in NM, and their instructors talked to them, telling them that it is hard to find a job once they graduate, but they do not listen. They think that they will get that dream job that will pay them tons of $$$ and that is the only thing in their heads. Just look at all those posts here from to be NMT students. It does not matter what you tell them, they will not listen to you. I no longer feel sorry for them, cause if they are not listening when we are talking, one or two years from now, they are those that will be crying..."

"The market for NMT's is non-existent. How many students have not been able to find jobs? How many out of work Tech's are there? This is a serious situation...I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to get the Tech's together. It's time to close the 2 year schools, the profession is being ruined by the over saturation of Technologist's. How do you warn potential students?"

"it is very difficult to find a nuclear med tech position . it took me 4 months to get a job. there are way too many schools out there and they are accepting way too many students."

As a university graduate, I can confidently say that a bachelor's degree is overall more useful. It just depends on what you are specializing in. I understand that the health sciences are good for the 2 year programs, however, if you are majoring in something else, I suggest that a 4 year program will offer you many more opportunities, such as graduate school. Also, many employers look for a bachelor's as a minimum in applying for a job. Overall, I don't think it is accurate to generalize a degree based on how long it takes or where it is from, but rather what you feel more comfortable with.

• 4 year is better, statistically higher paying jobs when finished.

However, there is one exception. I went to a 2 year school to become a RN. The program here (Wisconsin) was rated as better than the colleges. I believe it too, it was a vigorous program. In the end, we all take the same boards as any 4 year college. We make the same amount of money-but that is the only exception I can think of-otherwise 4 year all the way. Also we take all the same classes-it just is a packed into 2 years. However, I took my generals and science classes before the 2 year vigorous all out nursing classes.

Well, I have an associates degree, I have only gone to tech schools. All I can say is, in 18 more months I will be a Nuclear Medicine Technologist that also does X-ray and cat scan. I have done a lot of research and I will be making 80-140k a year. My loans in total after 6 years of school just going to tech schools will be 55-65k. As an X-ray tech alone I am making $25.70 an hour.

I have a cousin that is going to a 4 year college for business for 25k a year. What do you think he will do when he gets out in todays economy?

I also know a couple people going to 4 year schools 30k a year to become history teachers...I wonder what they are going to do for work when they need to pay back 120k.

Source(s): Okay El Bow, if you would of read the whole thing you would have sceen that I also would have x-ray and ct aswell. You just researched nuclear medicine technologist. I am going to be 1 out of 200 in the country with those qualifications. So stop trying to show off, make me look foolish and actually BELIEVE me the next time instead of acting like a know it all.

I don't know where your friends get that idea from. I know a few people that went to a 2 year school and went straight to a 4 year school after graduation. You could luck out and get a decent job with only a 2 year degree but overall a bachelor's is much better than an associate's.

Some of the best paying, in demand jobs are from two year degrees like nursing. It really just depends on what you want to do. Also, the first two years of a college education is virtually the same. Some people,myself included, choose to go to a community college to save money and then transfer on to a four year university.

In terms of answering the question itself, I would say that the people who are making the statement you refer to are doing it from a viewpoint of myopia. They are not able to see what the 4 year school has to offer and don't actually, fully or factually know that they are going to be receiving the kinds of payoffs in terms of salary that they can "claim", by merely saying so aloud.

No, a person with a 4 year degree earns more, people dont think that way. If they do, something is wrong with them.

Go to any Community College and walk around. You will see many people whose eyes don't quite line up.

Their judgments about what is good education are not credible.