Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Atheists, how much do you use quotes by notable atheists?

Have you ever seen a fellow atheist use quotes like that as substitutes for actual thought?

((((((Red Queen))))) + ((((((((Pangloss)))))))

(((((((GorgeousTx))))))))

• Favorite Answer

I love Mark Twain and Douglas Adams, but I am just as likely to quote Mother Teresa of Gandhi. I never use the quotes as a substitute for actual thought, only to illustrate my own views through the words of people who were much wiser than I could ever hope to be.

My favorite quote of all time-

"We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop."

Mother Teresa

(((Citizen)))

I almost never quote things that aren't from a movie or a song. Except for those two types, my brain just doesn't hold that kind of information. I might throw out a pertinent or especially succinct quote here and there but I usually have to look it up before using it. Sometimes someone puts something so incredibly well it's worth it to use their words.

I have seen a few atheists do that but not many. Atheists tend to be able to get their ideas across in their own words. Now, I could speak entirely in movie quotes and song lyrics - I could - but I don't. Unless I'm around friends and family that find it amusing :)

Rarely but I often recycle my own stuff.

I am not a needy, whiny little coward who needs to hold teh imaginary hand of a geographically specific invisible space chappie.

I like life raw, sans condiments, sans accoutrements.

Sometimes a quote will say it all and MUCH better than I could.

Bertrand Russell: There is something feeble and a little contemptible about a man who cannot face the perils of life without the help of comfortable myths.

Almost inevitably some part of him is aware that they are myths and that he believes them only because they are comforting.

But he dares not face this thought!

Moreover, since he is aware, however dimly, that his opinions are not rational, he becomes furious when they are disputed.

Robert Ingersoll:

The king said to the people: "God made you peasants, and he made me king.

He made rags and hovels for you, robes and palaces for me.

Such is the justice of God."

And the priest said: "God made you ignorant and vile.

He made me holy and wise.

If you do not obey me, God will punish you here and torment you hereafter.

Such is the mercy of God."

The king ruled by force, the priest by fear, and both by both.

The king owned the bodies and the priest the souls, of men.

One lived on taxes, the other on alms.

One was a robber, the other a beggar, and each was both.

Jerry Falwell: Good Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions.

FSTDT: Make sure your answer uses Scripture, not logic.

FSTDT: To say the Bible was written by men and may contain inaccuracies completely contradicts the word of the Bible.

FSTDT: I can sum it all up in three words: Evolution is a lie

Chapman Cohen: Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

~

The question raises an interesting point. It's probably in atheists' nature to think for ourselves rather than to go for a quote, but at the same time there seem to be many variations on only a few themes when it comes to answering such questions as where morality comes from, whether non-belief is a religion etc. Did everyone arrive at these same answers individually?

Source(s): Following the debates on youtube
  • Megs

Yes. I do it myself on occasion, not as a substitute for actual thought, but when I think a notable atheist's quote can explain my point better than I can. I've been collecting quotes ever since childhood and enjoy using them whenever a good and appropriate opportunity arises.

I've seen atheists use quotes for various reasons. I myself rarely do, unless it is to dispute what an actual person or document has said about a certain subject - in which case, providing the quote would be necessary.

Not very often at all. The only quote I might use is one from RIchard Dawkins about how the world would be better without religion or the one that says something like "We are all atheists about almost every god in human history. Some of us just go one god further."

Sometimes a succinct quote can convey your intent better than what immediately springs to mind. Carl Sagan was a very eloquent man and I'm not ashamed to say that I have quoted him from time to time. I have contempt for people who are only familiar with atheist "catch phrases" but I also have contempt for those who are more interested in demeaning others based on their language choices instead of seeking understanding and common ground.

How much do you use quotes by notable atheists?

--Often, not always.

Have you ever seen a fellow atheist use quotes

like that as substitutes for actual thought?

--No, the quotes are usually distributed

after their thoughts are shared.

Very, very rarely. If I do, at all, it's usually b/c they pertain more to existentialism than atheism, and b/c someone specifically asked for a quote. Nietzsche is usually the only one I quote, too.

It generally bothers me when I see someone spit out a quote rather than synthesize a question. I think it's a bit insulting when someone asks for your opinion and you can't be bothered to give it. Unless you validate why you're using that quote, it just seems unnecessary and dismissive.