suggestions for non american or english authors?

im a 17 year old girl, and for this years summer assignment for school i have to read a book by a non american or english author, which is extremely annoying. i don't really like reading but when i do read i like things that keep me interested. i have read a lot of meg Cabot's book and books by laurie halse anderson (speak) so those are the type of books i like to read, somewhat girly/teen stuff and also like deep stuff like speak. help?

Favorite Answer

I'm probably going to repeat myself a couple of times, but this honestly IS a good book! And not too long, which might be good since it's for an assignment. The only minus is that it is almost entirely writ in a Dublin accent and you'd have to focus, but it is HI-LA-RI-OUS! Oh, and perhaps that it isn't entirely your style of book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Van_(novel)

A bit more "girlish" might be The Snapper, by the same author. You might be able to get into that better.

• Tagg R

They don't really write too many of those types of books in other countries, but if you want something that's easy to read and not too long you should try something by Paulo Coelho. My favorite one by him is The Alchemist. The writing style is simple, and enjoyable. It probably won't be your favorite book ever, but you'll definitely like it more than most other non-english works.

Victor Huggo.