How do I fix a "Frequency out of range" problem?

On my 2nd computer I am getting a "frequency out of range" error message when I try to start it up. It will then shut off like when your computer is idling and goes to sleep mode or something. I have read a few posts about what the problem could be. Some have said its because the refresh rate isn't... show more On my 2nd computer I am getting a "frequency out of range" error message when I try to start it up. It will then shut off like when your computer is idling and goes to sleep mode or something. I have read a few posts about what the problem could be. Some have said its because the refresh rate isn't compatible with the computer or something but everyone is saying that I need to get to the desktop so i can go to my start button and change the refresh rate but it wont get that far, the screen just shuts down. Anyone have some suggestions?
Update: The computer monitor does not come on so getting into anything is impossible. :/