What is the difference between Minestrone and Vegetable Soup?

I just had Gumbo, and was told it was very similar to Minestrone and Vegetable soup. What's the difference between the two?

Favorite Answer

The other 2 answers are partially right, it is a vegetable based soup, and they have 2 variety's a Milanese and Tuscan type, one with pasta the other with beans, both are tomato based, similar seasonings, no meat and served with a side of bread and sometimes grated cheese, either parmesan or romano, I am a former chef and work in hotels with fine dining Italian restaurant both northern and southern, it is a regional thing the differences, but essentially and I may get some thumbs down the same basic soup.

Vegetable Soup Minestrone

Minestrone is a type of vegetable soup. I think it has typical ingedients like some lentils and shell macaroni plus others.

all soups with vegetables in it are vegetable soups. A minestrone is roughly cut,uses as well vegetables of the day,but mainly carrots,sellery,leek and what else depends on the ITALIAN region