Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

I'm studying English.What is the difference between "Create and Generate"?

Could you help me understand the difference between them?

Update:

Regarding files on PC, would you say ..

Create a file.

Generate a file.

Other way.

Which would you say?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Without using a dictionary, to me the difference is in connotation.

"Create" has a more artistic, soulful or possibly religious connotation.

"Generate" seems more mechanical, scientific, cold.

Source(s): Just my opinion, but maybe it makes sense to you too.
  • 1 decade ago

yeah, create is more expressive, artistic, deeper, with a feeling that it was made from nothing, just brainpower. Create a work of art, create a monster, create the world in 7 days,

Generate suggests making something from something, and is more mechanical, like computer processes that automatically generate a response. Generate a list, generate electricity, an investment that will generate income, etc

Source(s): In cases like this i always go to the Compleat Lexical Tutor and click "concordancers." Enter the word, click "get concordancer" and see the sentences.
  • 1 decade ago

In many cases, they are perfectly synonymous. Where they differ: "Create" is used when referring to purposely or deliberately bringing something into being. To "generate" often implies bringing something into being in an indirect manner or as a result of something else. When something is specifically designed or exists to "create" something else, the word "generate" is attached. In one example: "The power plant generated five thousand kilowatts of electricity."

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Create means something from nothing. Generate means something from something else.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

create ( ) tr.v. , -ated , -ating , -ates . To cause to exist; bring into being.

generate ( ) tr.v. , -ated , -ating , -ates . To bring into being; give rise to: generate a discussion.

they both mean the same thing.??

Source(s): google.com
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.